1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power V Problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DaySpring Services, Oct 30, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im having problems with my new 8'2" V. When I hold the top 2 buttons on my handheld to put the blade in scoop the left wing will not move until the right one is up all the way. Every other function works.Anytime the scoop function is used the left wing stops moving until the right has finished moving. The dealer tried a new controller, but that didnt help. They're going to check it out on Nov. 16th, but I'd like to try to figure it out.
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

check out the wiring under on the plow. i thought that it would be a controller issue but since they reaplaced it must be something else. my plow does almost the same think, but you just need to press harder on the buttons to get both of the wings to go out at the same time.
  3. F350 Snowman

F350 Snowman Senior Member

Yeah I agree, if you have a new controller , it must be a wiring problem somewhere before the harness.
  4. DaySpring Services

I played around a little and still haven't found anything. Is there any chance it could be a bad smartlock cylinder? I ran the plow for a little tonight and the left wing started slowing way down. It almost sticks when it's coming back to the V, and sometimes stops when going into the scoop. The only way to get it moving again is release the button then press it again. It's driving me nuts. Im a one man operation and can't afford any downtime, especially with my commercial contracts. :angry:
  5. F350 Snowman

F350 Snowman Senior Member

I dont know much about the smartlocks, but the guy the dealer that installed my plow said that smartlocks are slower than the stock hydrlics, so i decided not to use them, but it sounds like you have a bigger problem than that, if you have a local dealer/ installer in town give them a call, doesnt cost anything to get some advice over the phone.

Hope it all works out for you!
  6. snoking

snoking Senior Member

never heard of them being slower....doesnt make sense. sounds to me like a valve issue...clean the valves and try again. one should move slower when both moving, thats just life but it should be right behind it. if not a valve issue check your controller. plug and old one in and see if it works better. they may of had a bad run of controllers....never know
  7. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

Whats your fluid level in your resovoir? Make sure it is 3/4" from the top of the resovoir. Also you may want to load check the battery. Even have your dealer replace the wing out solenoid valve because it may be opening slowly. Also remember the fluid just like electrical will flow to the area of least resistance first. Ask you dealer to try another plow to see if it follows!:cool:
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have heard some of the smart-lock rams have had problems with the packing in the rams.

Just an idea:dizzy: But are the springs the same tension??
    If one is tighter than the other the wing that is tighter will move slower than the other.
    Play with the tension of the springs, A little adjustment will make a big difference.

Are you doing this with the plow on the ground or raised?
    If you go back to the dealer try a joy-stick instead of the buttons...

Most of the time when I put the plow in to the scoop position one wing goes forward before the other, You have to be careful and have no obstructions and the same load on the wings then you can move both equally at the same time.
    With a little practice you won't even notice it.
    :gunsfiring: pumpkin:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2006

This doesn't sound like an electrical issue, it sounds like a valving issue. I would inspect the check valve and solenoid valve for the wing you are having a problem with. On the bossplow.com site you can find the manifold schematic for your plow showing you where each is located. I have not heard of any issues with the smartlocks, but you could test that easily by swapping the cylinders or hoses. If the plow still shows the same wing problem, then the problem is in the valving.

Adam Caron
    Parts Manager
    Wright Trailers
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Read this thread ie..bad smart lockhttp://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=32307&highlight=smart+lock

You do not need a schematic for the Hyd, just fallow the hoses to the valve body.
    The corresponding solenoid and valve will be just below where the hose connects to the valve body.

For the rest of the Boss V-plow users.
    Do your wings move together evenly and at the same time?
    I bet not,,
    It sounds like operator error.. No offense...
    I think you just need to get the hang of it (running the plow)

Like I said the springs(for the wings) have to be adjusted.
    Like was said before the ram with the least resistance will move first.
    You may have to play around with it,
    My wings move independently of each other and not at the same time.
    Why it is such a big deal if one wing moves before the other?

The plow still goes into the scoop position.
    The wings do go to the scoop position don't they
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Update on my plow problm

A couple weeks ago I had a post about a problem with my left wing not moving forward while the right wing was moving. I had to bring my truck in yesterday to have my salter installed and have that problem looked at. It ended up being a bad smartlock cylinder. It's now working properly and should be much easier to use lol.

Well thats at least two cases of bad smart locks....

how does it work now?

Hey! just a suggestion.. change the hydraulic fluid, there may be contamination from the packing in the bad ram.
  12. heavy detroit

heavy detroit Junior Member
    from Livonia

Hello, I just had a new 8'2" Boss v-plow installed and I am having similar trouble. When using the joystick to go from straight forward facing to angled, one side always starts before the other and i can't get the blades to make a straight line unless I angle:confused: the plow all the way to the left or right. Is this normal operation for the v plow? I know I am new to this type of v-plow but it does not seem right. Thanks.
  13. DaySpring Services

It is normal for one wing to move a little slower than the other.
  14. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I think it is a weakness of hand controller, i use joy stick.
  15. BobC

BobC Senior Member

I never noticed a problem with my hand control in 3 years. No matter which control you use it is just a switch that controls the solenoids that do the actual work of controlling fluid flow for operation.