1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power upgrade for sno-way

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by pooleo8, Jul 30, 2011.

1. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Decided that I need to increase power availability in the truck. Have some left over car audio from awhile back. Ran a new power cable from alt. to a fuse (200amp) then into a dist. block. One lead to the battery, the other will run into the ext cab part. In there, I will be installing another battery along with a seperate fuse block, everything associated with the plow electronically will be powered off the 2nd fuse panel. Also upgrading my alt to 200 amp. Local battery shop builds them with a 200 amp stator for $60

moar pics to come as progress is made!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would hesitate to install a battery in the passenger compartment. Not a very safe place.

3. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

If your going to be putting a batt in the passenger compartment. One make sure its a gel type such as the optoma or a marine batt as the lead acid type will off-gas in high heat situations and high load conditions. Two make sure its mounted in a IHRA/ NHRA approved box. theyre available from summit for about 80 bucks. Other then that it looks awesome.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you are running dual batteries, that are not isolated, they need to be identical. Same group size, brand, CCA rating, and same age.

I agree to find a spot other than the cab for a second battery. Two big risks are off gassing, and fire. The off gassing can be handled by using a sealed battery. Doesn't matter the construction - flat plates or spiral wound; or electrolyte material - acid, gel, paste.

The fire risk could be minimized by carefully routing the wires for protection in an accident, and protection from abrasion. A continuous duty contactor at both ends of the positive cable would also help, you could wire them so the cable is hot only when the ignition is on.

You want to keep your plow pump wires as short as possible. Connect them to the battery in the engine compartment.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you are going to put it in the cab use a vented box, either the already suggested racing box or a RV box (vented RV box could be cheaper.)

Install both batteries at the same time if not the older battery will draw the new battery down to it's level. You must ALWAYS replace both batteries in a duel set up at the same time.

6. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Thanks for the advise. The plow pump wires will stay to the battery up front. I may run the battery in the tool box instead. I do plan on picking up two of the AGM batteries