1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power unit soleniod clicking dead plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mason1, Jan 18, 2009.

1. mason1

mason1 Junior Member
    from WI

Got down plowing a driveway noticed plow delayed with controlls(slow responding and slow to go up and side to side). Thought fluid could be low so I added a half quart. Then fluid level was good. note:forgot to put my smarthitch2 ram down before filling. Still had struggle raising and turning. Dropped blade down Shut truck off. Came back later Had no controls led on just soleniod clicked. Put in float position tried to lower ram just soleniod click. Would air pocket cause this if so how can I bleed the air pocket out?
  2. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

sounds like it could b a bad truck side wiring harness. Is ur pump running?
  3. mason1

mason1 Junior Member
    from WI

Went back out released pins to off position, pulled pins out, unscrewed the fill cap, dropped ram. Fluid was the half quirt to full that I had put in before when ram was up. Screwed cap back on, unpluged an repluged connectors,made sure clean. Put in float position, used smarthitch2 and just soleniod click. Did not hear any motor engaging noise. Also noticed some fluid had came out from under that cover plate. Forgot to mention it is a 7'6" super duty rt3 straight blade. Thks
  4. jenton

jenton Junior Member

put in a new soliniod, if it is clicking that means its bad, then check the wiring and pump under the electrical cover to make sure u didnt burn up the motor from running low fluids, that could happen as well, mostly on westerns, but it could happen on the boss. but we had these problems and all we run is boss 9 out of 10 its the soiliniod