1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power-trac

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Peterbilt, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Any of you lanscape guys use or own a power-trac loader? I have been looking at them for awhile now and find them quite interesting.

Any opinions?

Peterbilt

2. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I am not a landscaper, but do have a Powertrac 1845. Main thing for snow removal is that there are no readily available cabs for them....other than a few custom-built ones here and there.

They are also fairly crude.....sort of 1970s technology. This can be good in that they are very simple and thus easier for a shade-tree mechanic to keep going. On the other hand, there are no dealers. My feel is that if you already have one for the areas that they do do well (steep slopes, manuverability in tight turf situations, etc) you could certainly put a blade or blower on it to continue to utilize it in winter. I would not choose it primarily for snow removal however.

After the roughest winter in nearly 30 years in the Colorado Front Range, I finally got a 6' hyd blower from QuickAttach for my PT, but my PU with a Western blade is still my primary snow machine for my mile of private road and parking/turn-around areas.

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

thanks for the info.

I am not thinking of this unit just for plowing. But for more of an all seasons piece of equipment.

If I do get one it will just clear side walks in my neighborhood.

4. RipT

RipT Senior Member

What size/model are you looking at? What type of terrain? Fine lawns, standard lawn/fields? Steep slopes? Rocky/muddy/sandy? Forest/woods?

What would primary applications be? Personal or commercial use?

There are many areas they excell in, and others where they would not be my first choice. So long as you understand the pros/cons of these machines and go in with your eyes open, you will most likely not be dissapointed.

I had not found anything before or since that would handle some of my more challenging needs better than the PT and I can live with a bit more limited capability in some other less important (to me) aspects, I bought my machine as a one year old used in '03 and have had no problems or breakdowns. Has about 375 hours and is not pampered. There is also lots of good info & comments on the tractorbynet.com forum.

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I do mostly lawn-reclamation, Grading and Seeding. I need a machine thats small enough to fit into tight areas. I have been looking a walk behind units, But feel that for most of them I can't get them to dump over the side of my tonner trucks and I can't see what I am doing with them.

I am leaning towards a smaller skid loader, but the price of new is just to much for someting that I wouldn't use everyday so a low hour used unit might be an option. The power-tracs seem to be a lower cost solution to a million dollar problem.

My uses would be simple. Light grading, moving dirt around, Seed/sod prep and what ever else I need to do with it. I also like the price of the power-trac attatchments, Way less than a name brand (Bobcat, toro, Boxxer) Attatchment. I am thinking tooth bucket, smooth buck and a tiller/power rake and maybe forks. But at thier prices I could afford more if needed.

When I buy new equipment I look at the big picture. Not just If I can do snow removal with it or not. It needs to make money every day or its just a waste to me. Sure It will sit sometimes, (my new tractor does) But when it goes out on jobs its a money maker.

Peterbilt

6. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Sounds like you would be looking at the Red (diesel powered) series such as the 2430 (they are offering a FREE back-hoe at this time) with a 8 ft lift or perhaps the 1445 or 2445. The lift/dump height may be the determining factor (and $$ of course).

The low profile 1*** series are very stable on steep slopes, but have lower lift heights compared to the 2*** series which can take a back-hoe attachment and are taller configuration similar to a wheel-loader. All are Deutz powered and available with turf or lug tires. They also offer slick trailer packages allowing you to drive up to most attachments and hook up without leaving the opperator seat (once tie-downs have been removed).