1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Tool Battery Recondition?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by timm9, Jan 30, 2009.

1. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Has anyone had any experience with the "secrets" for battery reconditioning? There is a person on the net that will "sell" you the secret for $12.95 that will allow you to recondition your battery pack. Has anyone tried this? Does it actually work? I don't mind paying as long as it's legit. I just don't want to waste $12.95 that could be put towards a new battery if it does not work.

2. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I have heard of rebuilding battery packs, but it is not much cheaper than buying a new battery pack. As far as reconditiong batterys sounds too good to be true. Did you check the feedback?
  3. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Thank you for the response! If memory serves me, it was on a individual website and not on e-bay. I believe it was referencing some technique that would "recondition" the battery pack and not replace the internal batteries. The "product" being offered was the technique/directions to follow to somehow revitalize the existing batteries. The site also indicated the necessary tools i.e. multimeter, etc.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Best thing for batteries is to run them completely dead and then re-charge. I do it to mine once a month and they seem to last a long time.
  5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I was a dummy and bought it a while back. Don't waste your money. I looked for it as I saved it on my computer, but cannot find it. What a waste of $$$ in my book.
  6. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Thank you! I greatly appreciate the response!

I'm going to replace the internal batteries instead.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Have you searched the Internet for cheaper replacement batteries? The " stuff for stuff " I have found is amazing! Alltel wants $30 for new a cell phone battery, $12.50 at the cell phone shop.com ! Exhaust manifolds $90 at Advance, $53 on Internet with free shipping. How to fix my 3 yr old ( $1,000 ) refrigerator for $50 in parts vers $100 + parts for a service call. But, some "stuff" can't be found cheaper. It's worth the time to search, and you may find the solution you need for free on a site. If all else, you learn something.
  8. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

9. PlowGood

PlowGood Member

Sometimes, inside of the rechargeable batteries they get a few dead shorts. This causes the battery not to function ... won't accept and/or hold a charge.

You can "wake up" of rechargeable battery and get rid of the dead shorts by blasting them with voltage and amps. I've done this on a 13.2 volt rechargeable battery pack, with success.

I used my car battery charger/starter. Connect the positive charger clip to the positive of the rechargeable battery pack, and likewise with the negative clip to negative of the rechargeable battery pack. Set the charger/starter to "START" and blast the rechargeable battery for 30 seconds.

Test the rechargeable battery pack in the tool. You might have to repeat a few times.

This can "fix" rechargeable battery packs that are rejected by the factory battery pack charging block. And a rechargeable battery pack can be fully charged this way in less than a minute.

Do NOT keep the charger on the rechargeable battery pack more than 30 seconds at a time..... the battery pack will get cooked.

I am not sure if a car battery charger will work on rechargeable battery packs in the 18volt and higher range. But it is worth a shot. You might need to put two car batteries in series, zapping the higher voltage rechargeables with 24 volts.

Try this at your own risk.