1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power To Brake Control

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chcav1218, Feb 11, 2010.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I have a few questions about my brake controller. First, should the controller have power (there is no on/off switch) the whole time the ttruck is turned on, only when the brakes are applied, or only when a trailer is connected? I have followed the installation instructions exactly as I should have, purchased the correct wiring harness, and plugged it in correctly, but the controller only turns on when I step on the brakes, and not even consistently at that. sometimes it will go on sometimes it won't. If i wire things so there is power to the controller the entire time the truck is on, will that make the brakes on my trailer stay on constantly or will they only go on when I hit the pedal?

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

The brake controller will have 12Vs going to it all the time. The light your seeing is meant to show you the brake light switch is being activated(why it comes on when you hit the pedal) on the ones we install its just a dot with out the trailer connect but once you put a trailer on it shows a number (1-10 scale) of how hard the brakes are being applied. With pressure applied it some times dose not light up? or are you just not pushing the pedal hard enought to activate the switch, if this is not the case sounds like somethings loose.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what type you have. Mine is dark when nothing is plugged in and green when plugged in and red when the brake is used.

4. 02powerstroke

what model is it. ( and yes grand) the one in my personal pick up is like that to its a Takosha voyager or something? we install Reese ones in all our customers vehicles

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

It's and Impulse brand time delayed brake controller. I just found the instructions, and they tell me the controller should read "E1" when there is no trailer connected. It has never read E1 since I installed it, and just started turing on when I hit the brakes recently, and the controller reads "13" not "E1." What where could I have made a mistake? The installaton is literally a three step plug in process.

6. 02powerstroke

this is going to sound dumb but is it upside down? 13 upside down in little LCD letters is E1. I just looked it up and they dont show a 13 in there trouble shooting.

7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

....i honestly believe that i could be that dumb....Ill brb

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing:

9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

but, i just checked and its mounted right side up. Restores a little confidence in myself lol. Maybe a defective unit? I may go to the store and ask to swap it out

10. 02powerstroke

10-4 Have you tested it on a trailer yet?

11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

No i havent, the camper I'm preparing to move is about 90 minutes away. I had it hooked up and moved it ten miles last week, but it's in the shop now and they told the the seven pin connector was extremely corroded and they have since installed a new one and everything else on the trailer started to work. I don't know anyone that ahs a trailer with brakes on it either, which would be convenient to test it on

12. 02powerstroke

you can useing a light or anything that draws 12v power to test it.

13. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

so just touch the wire from a 12v something to the Brake Wire Prong on the seven pin, step on the break, and see wat happens? how about a regular circuit tester?

14. 02powerstroke

I use a test lamp with gators clips on it. If theirs a draw the control should read this and work as a simulated "brake" load.

15. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i will try that tomorow

16. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

E1 or 13 ??

There Should Be A Way On your Controller To Invert The Display Function It Is Reading Right !! It's So You Can Mount It as You Like. As Far As Intermittent Function Redo The Butt Connectors Connections That You Made From the Controller to The Factory Harness. No Matter How Careful You are They Fail to Connect Sometimes. I Install About 20 a Month and Still have Issues at Times. We Sell H*pk*ns and 4 Out Of 10 Are NG Fresh Out The Box.No Problem Remove, Replace, Return, I hope To Get a Better Brand On the Shelf Soon,

17. 02powerstroke

We have had good luck with the Reese controllers.

18. snownj

snownj Junior Member

We have a similar controller on one of our trucks. There is a slide switch on the side of your controller that will invert the display.