1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power tach not working

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by G&T LAWN, Nov 13, 2010.

1. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Have an older 810 powerplow, 04 series. Went to hook up to the truck and the power tach just whines and doesn't move. There is good fluid level. The rubber hose moves when I try it. The power tach cylinder is rusty??? Sounds Iike its trying just doesn't move. Also the little spring pin and latch on the power tach is not hanging it up. Any ideas???

2. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

maybe clog filter? does the whin sound like pump is working?

3. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Yes it does. Where is the filter. Also i cant swing the blade left and right and the plow will extend out. Didnt try to lift it, cause I cant hook to the truck???

4. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

I'm having the same problem! Every action in my plow is extremely slow (works, but very slowly). It seems as if everything works but the system is not getting hydraulic fluid. I do not know what do to! Is there a filter that needs to be looked at or replaced? Is the motor probably going?

Not to get offtopic or hijack this thread, but I have a friend that suggested putting in transmission fluid (dextron) in the reservoir to see if that would help it. Is that a good recommendation or is he just BSing me?

I hope we can figure out our problem G&T!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. snorider075

I take that back its not really a filter more a screen inside the tank by pickup tube.

6. snorider075

dont put transfluid in there! nothing but bad will happen when it gets really cold. I have been told really any blue fluid from western blizzard or fisher is fine. good luck

7. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

Thanks for the info. I will steer clear from that bogus advice. Now if only i can actually get my plow working!

8. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

check connections sounds like a bad ground the pump will whine and do nothing

9. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

X 2 sounds like a bad ground. We have 3 810's around that year and they always act like when we first hook them up. The plow mounts build rust and don't get a good ground at first. Also check the plug.

10. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Checked plug and ran a used starter cables to ground the plow too. Everything works but the power tach???

11. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

need new power tach switch

12. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

That is a little comforting to hear. How do did/do you go fixing the bad ground issue (assuming is it not an issue with the plug)? Is there a way to manually ground the plow? Thanks in advance...

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have a secondary power and ground cable that I connect using an Anderson style connector. Rated at 175A, I noticed much better performance after that modification. Jerre has kits available to set you up, likely ready made and ready to ship.

14. babs2972

babs2972 Junior Member

I had this problem last year and thought it was the valve selanoid but turned out to be the toggle switch that runs the power hitch. Also my plow came with trans fluid in it. i have been running the cheap wal mart stuff in it for 5 years now and have not changed it or any screens. i am ready for when it acts up, this site keeps me busy reading in the fall to be prepared just in case! :)

15. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

You had the same issue off all plow actions not working correctly, or just the Power Hitch?

16. ND-Blackhawk

ND-Blackhawk Junior Member
    from 58642

What kind of oil are we supposed to use in the PowerTach hydraulic system? I assumed John Deere hydraulic oil or do they recommend something else like non-foaming motor oil? Thank You!

17. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Trans fluid is old school, works, but not as well.

If you want your plow to work at low temps, don't use hydraulic fluid.

Blue plow fluid is what you want.

18. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

I have still not had any luck in getting my plow to function correctly. Tomorrow as soon as this rain storm passes, I will be trying a full system flush of the hydraulic fluid and check the filter/magnet in the resevior. Here is a good link that I came across on Lets talk Snow for flushing blizzard plows:

http://www.************.com/forums/showthread.php?p=223937

How to flush a Blizzard plow
    Due to numerous requests,I'm posting this here.I would normally recommend you have your dealer do this,but some guys just don't trust them,or are too far away.

Blizzard Flush, post by Chris W. Barrett

Wear eye protection. Make sure the plow is securely blocked up when indicated, and keep your self out from under the plow just in case it drops. You will need about 5 quarts of low temp plow fluid, and a case of beer (see last paragraph).Probably best to pick up two gallon jugs of fluid, so you’ll have some leftover just in case of a leak.

Angle the plow all the way to the left, and all the way up. Extend the wings all the way out. Block plow in the up position under the a-frame so it can still angle. Remove pump cover. Remove drivers side angle hose and place into an empty gallon jug. Using the plow control, angle the plow to the right ,and it will pump the fluid out of the reservoir. Once empty (as soon as it starts to spit out air) stop. Remove reservoir and clean out dirt and debris. Check and clean\replace filters as needed. Make sure they are securely mounted, and pointing down. Now is a good time to install an inlet filter brace, or use heatshrink to secure the inlet filter. Reinstall reservoir and refill with clean new low temp fluid. Reservoir and pump are now done.

With the drivers side angle hose still off, bump plow to the right until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Reinstall hose, and angle plow the plow all the way to the right. Remove the passenger side angle cylinder hose, and place it in your container. Bump plow to the left until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Reinstall the hose. Angle plow back to center. Angle rams and hoses are now flushed.

If you don’t have a Power plow, you can skip this step! Remove all 4 wing cylinder hoses (mark them!),and place them into a jug or bucket. Extend the wings one at a time until clean fluid comes out each hose. It only takes 1-2 seconds per wing. Now retract both wings until clean fluid comes out each hose. Install the retract hoses only (the inner ports).Now retract the wings slowly by bumping them back in, with a bucket under the fittings to catch the dirty fluid expelled from the rams. Now connect the extend hoses. The wing cylinders and hoses are now flushed.

For this part, you can flip the plow control switch up to the power hitch position. The hose fittings are easier to reach from under the a-frame. Remove the lift cylinder retract hose on the passenger side, and bump the power hitch switch down for a second or two to flush the hose. Use a bucket under it to catch the fluid. Now reconnect the hose. Remove the lift cylinder extend hose (the one at the front of the ram, drivers side). The plow may drop some, and fluid will squirt out, so make sure it is securely supported. Now run the power hitch all the way down, and it will pump the dirty fluid out of the lift cylinder. With the fitting still loose a few turns, raise the plow for a second or two using the power hitch switch, until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Use a bucket under the lift cylinder to catch the fluid. Now retighten the hose. The lift cylinder and hoses are now flushed.

Flip the plow control switch back to normal operation. Raise the plow all the way up and remove your blocking. Drop the plow and recheck fluid level. It should be even with the top line molded in the reservoir. Run the plow up\down\left\right, and operate the wings in an out to bleed any remaining air out. Recheck fluid level and top off. Double check all fittings to make sure they are tight, and aren’t leaking. Your done. Drink your beer (unless snow is in the immediate forecast).