1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power supply mounting location??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stovezbt, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

Yes, I've done a search.

I have a Whelen 90w power supply and am trying to decide where to mount it. How weather sensetive are power supplies. My first choice is under the hood, so I only have to run the switch wiring into the cab of the truck. How has everyone else done the install of their power supplies. Truck in question is a 01 silverado 2500hd extended cab. Thanks for all the help and replies.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

If possible I try and mount them inside the cab. I don't honestly know if these units are weather proofed but I would not risk it personally.

Somebody with considerably more knowledge on this subject than I will post shortly I'm sure ;) .
  3. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Mine is mounted under the back seat of the longbed Quadcab

The shortbed Quad I had was mounted under the drivers seat.

The strobes I have said "No Weather!" I had to silicone the outside connections to keep moisture out. road spray kept grounding out the bulbs and shutting them off.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

do you have the full center console or the bench seat? i have a 02 2500HD silverado, and i mounted my 90 watt supply right in back of the console. If you look to the right of the gas pedal(the backside of the console and stick your hand back there, you will see there is plenty of room to tuck it in there.
  5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well they are not weather proof and would not mount it under the hood.I have mine mounted under the drivers seat.
  6. turfguy

turfguy Member

power supply

I have found that you can greatly increase the life of these units if they stay cool and dry. they must be mounted to a flat metal area and not just screwed down to the carpet. Under the hood is a serious mistake, just a tiny bit of moisture and they arc over and burn up. if you need cables or connecters shoot me an email as we have tons in stock. mark
  7. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

That was my second choice. Actually had convinced myself that it would be safer there. I do have the full center console so I can use the location you used. Where did you run the cables into the cab? I know that there hole through the firewall from the factory, but did all the cables fit. Really, if you can kinda give me an overview of your installation, that would be a huge help. I have 15' leads from the strobes, will I have enough to make it from the rear to the supply in that location.

Thanks for all the advise and help.

S. Wilson
  8. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I put my power supply under the dash right above the foot petals. It's fine mounted there. Only problem is when i made extensions for the strobe cable, i made them too long and have the cable wrapped around somethings.

On the other hand, i have the flasher for my LED strobes mounted under the hood. It has no openings though and only has 5 wires coming out of it, it's a sealed unit.

On the strobe power supply, if you really want to mount it under the hood, i'd use electrical grease, and maybe find an encloser or a small box you could mount the power supply in. Not sure i'd try that, but it's an idea.

I'm sure this question will come up,so i'll answer it now. For switches, i wasn't going to go out and pay $100 for a plastic/metal box with 5 switched mounted inside, so i went to radio shack and bought a project box, switches, small LED lights.
    I have 3 toggle switches with small Yellow LED's above them that come on when i have power to the switch. I then have 2 momentary switches for hi/lo control (never seems to work) and another to change the switch pattern. I spent less than $20, and it looks pretty good.

9. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

I also did the radio shack thing. I've got my self a switch setup also. I think that with the fuse holders and switches I spent $14.