1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power stroke wont start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BigLou80, Mar 16, 2012.

1. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I have a 99 F350 with the 7.3 powerstroke. It won't start unless its plugged in or has been run in the past few hours. Even when it's 65-70 degrees out it just spins and spins with out so much as a puff or smoke or a hint of noise its about to fire. Plug it in for an hour or three and it fires up fairly quickly. It also doesn't seem to have a high idle when it cold. I have no idea if that was even an option on that year of truck. Sometimes when it fires up it seems to be getting to much fuel and smokes a lot while other times it seems to run perfect.

There is a shortage of qualified people in my area to work on this truck, so I am hoping somebody here will be able to point me in the right direction. It's annoying to have to plug the truck in on the job site when it's 65 out.

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

How many miles on it?

Do you change oil often like under 5000 miles?

How fuel filter look?

These describe bad injectors. My F350 with 209K did these until I replaced 6 injectors due previous owner running low on fuel and change oil once a year.:realmad:

What happened if you put auto in 1 gear and hold brake while you rev to 1000-1300 does it SHAKE BADLY. Do these on COLD engine.

3. nydiver

nydiver Junior Member

Hpop could be getting tired. Low pressure at starter speeds can lead to not pumping the injectors with sufficient pressure, hence not enough fuel to start the truck, once the heads are warmed and you get above 120 in the chamber the drizzle of diesel begins to vaporize and enough combustion occurs to get it to fire, the hpop then spins fast enough to build sufficient pressure to keep it running. Be glad an HPOP can be had for under 500 all day, check out a dodge p-pump, HOLY GOD, Cummins dealers already have a mask and a gun and are just waiting for you.

We have an 01, 723K, 3rd hpop, this time a Swamps Gen 3, about 240K on it, pumps 3300-3500 PSI all day and power is liquid smooth, ICE COLD (<0 degrees) no waiting for glow plugs start in under 2 seconds, wait on glows bump the starter and it usually catches. Had a modified 17 degree previous and it never could do that.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Does it do this only in cold temps or when it's warmer out too. Could be as simple as a glow plug relay.

5. Milwaukee

If it was bad glow plug relay it would been smoke white. But this one say no smoke.

No fire mean Injectors issue or HPOP not push oil pressure to fire injectors.

Can you get scanner and check what IPR % and ICP psi on crank.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I overlooked that, and the temps

7. Milwaukee

Easy way to know if it glow plug relay bad.

Get screwdrive and put on 2 big studs to jump them. Hold for 15 seconds then try start. To see any difference.

8. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Mil,

I will see if I can't get my hands on a scan tool and check those values later this week.

Others:
    we have already replaced the glow plug relay, and will be checking the glow plugs later this week. It still needs to be plugged in even when its 60 degrees out.

When its colder out and it goes to start you can hear it start to hit on one cylinder, then two and around three- four it might run under it's own power but will stall out unless you bring the RMP's way up to get it running on all eight cylinders then allow it to come back to an idle otherwise you just hear it struggle on a few cylinders until it dies.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try the glow plug Ck. Use ohm meter to Ck all 8 at the valve cover connectors. How old is the oil? Is it low? How many miles,,,never got that answer? Might be leaning towards injector testing.

10. dieselss

Now when you say smokes,,,what color? How does it smell?

11. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

the oil is 5-6 months old but the truck goes for days if not weeks with out moving. I would guess there is only 1500 miles on the oil tops

the truck has 7000 hours on it, the "motor" has been changed and should have less then 20K on it but the swap was done by the original owner/

By smokes I mean black oily smoke. scanning yesterday revealed that #3 injector is bad so I will be changing that tomorrow and seeing what happens.

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Buddy has an 02' that would just crank, if you plugged it in or if you hooked up a booster pack it would start. Ended up being bad batteries, like I said it cranked fine but I was told the computer needs over 12 volts to light:confused: Fords:dizzy: JK, that's what fixed his. BTW it was mid summer when this happened

13. Milwaukee

Is it just me that I can't get answer.

Maybe that previous owner LIED and it really have 200-300K miles on it. I will never get their word until they show me new block that shiny or tran that shiny not fade rot dull color.

HOW MANY MILES on odometer is now?

Can you get scanner again? Check IPR duty % and ICP psi when you Crank. These will help everybody know.

Can you get Injector contribution test on it to see which injectors not work and do Injector buzz test too.

Do you see oil pressure gauge go up when you crank?

Easier way after you drive hot then let sit overnight then pull plug off HPOP res and check how much Inch in oil to top. I believed it should be 1 1/2" or less is good. If it drop oil you have leak somewhere that drain down HPOP oil.

Is it crank FAST or slow. Try clean battery terminal. Just did this on F450 that wouldn't start at 70oF due it was crank SLOW. After do that it crank faster it start.

14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

MIL,

With any luck I can get a scanner on it tomorrow. I think the truck has 70K on it.

15. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

8 injectors and 8 glow plugs later I am pleased to announce it starts and runs like a champ.

16. dieselss

Well glad you got it fixed......sure you were pleased with the cost tho

17. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

right around $2,100 in parts. After it finally fired for the first time it was clear we made the right choice. It even started this morning with out waiting for the glow plugs to cycle.

It's a 99 f350 dump with 7,000 hours and 70K miles. It has central hydro's and a 6 speed manual. The motor was replaced in 2001 (at least the valve cover say's 2001 Model year) It has a bit more rust then I would like but all in all$2K is a sound investment in a low mileage truck that's ready to work.

18. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4payup

19. Milwaukee

Glad to know it fixed Thumbs Up

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Agreed........worth the investment to have a reliable truck, ready to make you money.