1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMC Sierra, Jan 31, 2010.

1. GMC Sierra

GMC Sierra Member

I have a 1997 GMC K1500 extended cab. When the plow is UP (i.e. weight on the truck) and the front wheels are on DRY pavement, I am not able to turn the wheel fully to the left or right at a DEAD stop ( the steering wheel goes a little ways, but then gets very stiff). I realize this is asking alot to turn the wheels on dry pavement, fully loaded on the front axle without moving, and I rarely do this. However, I was curious if others have this same result.....is my power steering too weak, asking too much, too much weight? On snowy pavement at a dead stop, wheels will turn with little problem (less friction). Also, I have no issues when moving. Please let me know your experiences, I am considering an overhall of my powersteering if not up to full specs. Thanks
  2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It's my understanding (I could be wrong) that turning the wheels while not moving with the plow on is about the single worst thing you can do to a truck's front end. I would tend to say it's probably normal- afterall, if you have the plow on you've got 700#'s+ hanging off the front, with wheels trying to move on dry pavement with no motion forward- going to be tough... I would be interested to see other responses though...
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You are not wrong at all Matt, you're 100% correct and I've made the same statement myself many times in the past. Getting it moving before attempting to turn the wheels as often as possible WILL greatly prolong the life of the steering components.