1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1 bad bolt, Oct 6, 2009.

1. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

on my 2004 1500 when im not moving and try turning the steering wheel it becomes very hard to move :almost like i have no power steering: , or if they plow is on its 10 times worse , basically its when im in tight areas and needing to move the steering before i move. gets a little easier if i give it gas at the same time spinning the wheel. does that seem normal or anyone else have this problem ? i checked the fluid as well it clean and full.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they're well known to have barely enough steering assist to do the job and it isn't limited to only the 1500 truck either, plenty of 2500/3500 trucks out there with substandard/just adequate assist and when you add additional load (like a plow) it only gets worse. The best fix is an aftermarket high performance pump from companies such as AGR or Howe engineering. Both companies specialize in high flow high pressure upgraded pumps for high demand applications...such as a plow equipped truck.

Not terribly expensive vs a stock pump either. :nod:

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

My 05 Tahoe does the exact same thing, slow speed right turns feel like theres no power steering. And I dont even have a plow on that truck. Apparantly its quite common.

My truck has been full of problems since day one-needless to say it will be the first and last GM product I'll ever buy.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Before you go throwing parts at the high steering effort problem call the GM
    800 customer service number and have the vin # ready.
    If your truck falls under this TSB you may get a FREE repair!
    This may be your problem:
    TSB #070232001 -- REDUCED STEERING EFFORT (DIAGNOSE/REPLACE STEERING WHEEL POSITION SENSOR.....

My 04 2500 had the high steering effort issue and this was the fix (under warranty).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009