1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power steering?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snow-mott, Dec 2, 2003.

1. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

I'm sure all of you run power steering due to the weight of the blades. At work we're having problems with one of our diesels...its a 84 f250. When we have the plow on it there seems to me "dead spots" of when it'll turn or not...otherwise is just squeals like a piggie and you have to turn pretty forcefully to get it past that spot. We have no timbrens but we're looking into to it for this truck as a perhaps rememdy of the situation. Fluid level is fine...don't know whats wrong.

any suggestions?

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Your steering box is probably worn out. Start it up and get under the truck. Have someone else turn the wheel from side to side from the 9:00 to 3:00 positions. If you look at where the pittman arm slides ofer the output shaft of the steering box, wou may see that it wobbles from side to side. Time for a new box. Some people rebuild them but I believe it is cheaper in the long run to buy a new or new/rebuilt one. It is a pain in the ars to remove & replace.

Good luck.

3. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

thanks for the help...checked the belt the other day and it was loose...tightened it up and everything is kosher. thanks again!