1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Steering Trouble

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Troybaseball21, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Lately I have been having some trouble steering. When the truck is at idle, the wheel is harder then hell to turn. I basically have to yank, pull, lay on the wheel to get it to turn. But as soon as the accelerator is pressed, the turn becomes just about normal. Also the steering wheel does not like to return to center. I have already replaced the power steering pump a few months ago, and am just trying to figure out what else it could be before I go and spend $400 bucks on a gear box. I also recently had to put new rear brakes on the truck along with rotors. Not sure if some air in those lines would cause the steering to have trouble since the power steering also runs part of the brakes.

2. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

I went ahead and replaced the gear box and at least now the wheel returns to center. The brakes work good as well. But the wheel is still as hard as hell to turn. So since my pump has a lifetime warranty I think I will swap that out monday just in case the return valve is not working right.

3. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

I replaced the p/s pump and everything is fixed now.

4. provfirescott

provfirescott Senior Member
    from Ma

What are the factory warranties for the pump?

5. itr.#1446

itr.#1446 Member

Wtf i went to dodge and complained about the same problem and they said everything was fine, i knew it was b.s. I am glad i found your post and know that i could have power steering again.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I'm glad you got your probs fixed. I always try to be moving when I turn the front tires. Much less wear and tire on the tires and other parts!

7. provfirescott

provfirescott Senior Member
    from Ma

Any updates on this problem I still have the same problem at idle and when cold

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I have read that you can use a turkey baster to suck out fluid and replace it with Synthetic fluid and it fixes issue. I checked Advanced Auto parts the other day. i didnt see any. I plan on checking Auto Zone

9. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Oversize Tires

I had the same problems. Dodge put in aa new box and pump under warranty and it did the same thing. I took off the 315's and went back to stock and have no problems at all now. I know it isn't as nice looking as the bigger tires, but I want to be able to steer.:dizzy: