1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power steering slipping

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Buckeye Chuck, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

My power steering pump seems to slip a bit sometimes when my plow is on. I'm bringing in to have it checked. Any ideas out there? Oil and belt seem fine.

2. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Must have been a real stumper for this crew. :D
    For those interested, I was told this was normal per a bulletin they had. They checked pump pressure and it was ok.

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

What do you mean by slip? With my plow off and sitting still my wheels are hard to turn sometimes. Nevermind with 600 lbs hanging off the front. I asked my dealer to look at it last time it was in but the JO forgot to.

4. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

I had a problem with a GM power steering pump a while back that sounds similar. The power boost would occasionally "stutter" (for lack of a better term). Most of the time it worked fine. It turns out that the pressure valve that's in the high pressure outlet fitting on the pump was loose and would occasionally result in lower hydraulic pressure. You have to remove the high pressure hose from the back of the pump. The valve is in the center of the fitting on the pump. I tightened it up and the pump worked fine.

Joe Padavano