1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power steering removal 99 dodge diesel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rickbays, Nov 4, 2009.

1. rickbays

rickbays Member

working on a 99 24v dodge. Im tryin to remove the power steering pump. It looks like the pump bolts to a bracket then that bracket bolts to the block. I removed 3 bolts from the bracket from the block. I cant get it off at all. I dont want to break any thing. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Rick

2. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

The power steering pump is attached to the vacuum pump. There are 4 bolts I am fairly sure, 2 on each side. Then you have to remove it from the drive and then replace. you might want to unbolt the vacuum pump so you can get to it easier.

3. rickbays

rickbays Member

There is also a small bracket that goes from the block to the lower bolt on the block side of the power steering pump:realmad: of course you cant see it. Once i found it the job went smoother :D

4. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Just did this on mine, two bolts hold the power steering pump and vacuum pump assembly to the drive gear housing at the front of the motor, there is a small support bracket about midway down the assembly where the power steering pump bolts (4 bolts) to the vavuum pump that's bolted to the side of the engine block, there's also a steel braided oil line coming out of the block in the same area and goes to the vacuum pump to lubricate it, these must be disconnected before removal, disconnect power steering hoses first also, I put new ones in because the metal part of the lines were so rusted the compression fitting became part of the lines and wouldn't turn, when you get the vacuum pump/power steering pump assembly out you break it down on the bench, google the vacuum pump rebuild kit while you have it out there is a guy with a website for rebuild kits with all the gaskets, seals, seal drivers and instructions for the vac pump for about 50 bucks, the dealer gets about 120 bucks wholesale, REPLACE THE VAC PUMP SEALS AT THIS TIME you do not want to do this twice, also power steering pump and lines are priced right at www.rockauto.com and they carry decent quality parts. Good luck. p.s. if you have to break the braided oil line to the vacuum pump that's another 50-60 bucks from the dealer only (I know). I also replaced the steeing box because that's what was really bad in my truck and this gave me better access to the under side of the pump assembly.