1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Steering pump to power Fisher Speedcast plow?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by avon_jeepman, Feb 26, 2007.

1. avon_jeepman

avon_jeepman Junior Member

Has anyone plumbed thier snowplow valves in series with the power steering pump that is already on the truck?

I have an 86 GMC truck with a Fisher Speedcast plow on it. The pump is shot and I need to replace it or make the power steering pump work. My neighbor told me that he knew a guy that used his power steering pump to raise and tilt his plow and had it plumbed in series with the steering. When he was driving down the road the plow wasn't being used so he was only doing one or the other at any one time.

Thanks for any input.

DOC

2. 4wheelposi

4wheelposi Junior Member

I know a guy who plowed a whole storm like this because his pump broke. It worked...but not great. You are better off grabbing a used pump off ebay...especially this time of year.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Just going to eat up the power steering pump. You can get good pumps off ebay for under $100. By the time you got fittings and did all the work you could be up and running.

I converted my old belt drive to a seperate resevoir (mopre fluid cooling and a filter) with there electic clutch pump. Saves on fuel and on the pump as it only runs when I need it. Only cost me $150 and a bit of welding to make a better bracket to do that.