1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Steering pump leaking...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Jan 21, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

While changing out my A/C belt today- I noticed that my P/S pump unit is leaking pretty badly- not losing a lot of fluid per say, but it's "seeping" out and dripping onto some oil cooler lines, etc.

Any ideas on what the cause could be? Something to be really concerned with? I have no issue with just watching the level and topping it up every once in a while, as I'm looking to save some $$$ these days, unless something catastrophic is going to happen if I let it go...

It has been "seeping" since I bought it 3 years ago- seems to be doing it more now than it was before though...more fluid coming out...

Thoughts?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Bump..any thoughts? With 26 views and no responses I guess I'm not in any immediate danger of a catastrophe then?

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Bumpity bump.... anyone..???

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How much fluid do you need to add to it every week Matt? If it's just a little then I wouldn't get too concerned about it until the season is over. However I would at least check the lines at the pump now to be sure none are simply loose and need a little snugging with a wrench. And while you're in there clean it up around the pump and hoses with some brake clean and check it again in a few days. Doing so will make it easier to track down what's actually leaking.

May not need a pump, might just need an O-ring on the pressure line or fitting in the rear. A good cleaning will lead you to the root cause.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I checked the fluid last about 6 months ago when I first noticed it "seeping," (though it had been wet since I bought it 3 years ago) and added about 1/8 of a quart to bring it up to level. I checked it again yesterday, it was still up to the full cold mark- no fluid added yesterday. So I'm thinking (at the moment anyway) that I'm probably okay for now, until I have a chance to really give it a good look over come springtime- I'll continue to check the fluid level every once in a while, just to be safe. It's not really causing many "drips" just making the lines a little "wet" and the chassis a little "wet" as well.

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

If it should need a pump though come springtime- what am I looking at $$$ wise for parts and labor?

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I think mine was about $400 3 years ago. That was a shop installing a new pump w/ reservoir.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For all the more fluid you're adding I wouldn't even sweat it for now. Should have no problem making it a few more months however I would still check the lines/fittings to be sure they're tight and clean it up so it's easier to locate a leak once you're ready to do any repairs.

A stock pump replacement would be in the $300-$350-ish range parts and labor. However if funds allow that would be a great time to upgrade to an aftermarket pump with a higher capacity that most of those truck so desperately need when equipped with the weight of a plow. And you can do so for minimal extra cost over just throwing another stock pump in there. Take a look at PSC. FOr mot much more cost over a stock pump their HP series pumps are an excellent upgrade.