1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power steering problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kwegman003, Oct 30, 2007.

1. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

I have a 1997 f350 and I was changing the power steering pressure line. i was unscrewing it from the pump and a piece came out from inside the pump that appears to attach the pump to the hose. The hose and the nipple shaped piece will not separate and I wonder if the previous owner used jb weld to attempt to stop the leak. The guy at the ford dealership said that he had way too much on his plate to help me....another story.

has this happened to anyone?
    does that story make sense?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would not think JB Weld could survive the pressure of that line. Try going to the parts store and look at a replacement pump.. Make sure you don't destroy the plastic O ring on that line. It's real easy to do. Take pictures and post them if you can.

3. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

ok i think I figured it all out correctly and installed the line, but I see a slight bead around the fitting at the ps gear. It appears to be leaking slowly at this point. I tightened it till I felt a good amount of resistance, I did not want to strip the threads.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it's a new hose you have to get it tight as you can. I have even used a small pipe wrench to get it tight. Sometimes even the right size wrench will not do it. They use a plastic O ring so you need it real tight to seal right. Sometimes you have to give it a few days, tighten it a little eveyday till it stops leaking.