1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Steering Problem 86 1 Ton 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Figure8 Plowing, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Figure8 Plowing

Figure8 Plowing Junior Member

I have an 86 Chevy one ton 4x4 dump with a power steering problem. It has hydro boost brakes and the rear brakes need wheel cylinders loses brake fluid, so when I am low on fluid the power steering doesn't work so well. It almost loses power steering and the belt squeals and won't let me turn the steering wheel unless I have the engine above idle around 1200-1500 rpm. What is causing this problem? The pump is v-belt driven and the belt tension seems fine. I'm losing my patient's with this truck, I want to sell it too.

2. lowestnowplowin

lowestnowplowin Junior Member

Sound like the hydro boost brakes could be leaking? It will leak inside where hooks up to brake pedal. I had a chevy full size station wagon had that problem.

3. get-er-done

get-er-done Junior Member
    from Ontario

You can also try having the steering system flushed and put lucus fluid back in it. Worked well in my old dodge. no more problems

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I think you must realize the power steering runs the braking system, right? sorry it wasnt clear from your post. the hydro boost gets it's hydraulic pressure form the ps system, if you have something wrong with the braking system it could easily cause issues with power steering. first thing I'd do is replace the leaking wheel cylinders and go from there. No sense in fixing something else first.

5. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Agreed or the ps pump could just be that worn that it won't move enough fluid till reved up.

6. Figure8 Plowing

DetroitDan I am aware of how the hydro boost system works thank for the explanation though. So today I pulled the rear brake drums off and found that the wheel cylinders are clean and dry so they aren't leaking. One of the axle seals was leaking so I have to replace the brake shoes and probably the drums as they look original and most of the drum cooling fins are rusted away. I pulled the cover off the master cylinder and found that the rear brake portion of master was dry however not the front brake portion. I removed the master cylinder from the hydro booster and found what I think was the problem with losing brake fluid and not having rear brakes, the master was leaking. So I guess I'm rebuilding rear brakes and replacing the master cylinder too this weekend. Any thoughts, something maybe I missed with my diagnosis?

7. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Are you saying it won't turn when the ps fluid is low or the brake fluid is ?

8. Figure8 Plowing

power steering fluid is at the correct level, the brake fluid however is not, no fluid in the rear brake portion of master cylinder. I am trying to figure out where the brake fluid is going not visual leaks ie lines, wheel cylinders, proportioning valve. I pulled the master off hydro boost seems like fluid is leaking through the bore of master cylinder. I think that the low pedal that having low to no fluid in master is causing power steering problem. The PS pump is new also replaced all PS lines right after that steering was fine and so were brakes.