1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Steering on '89 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pyrocare, Jan 26, 2008.

1. pyrocare

pyrocare Junior Member

I have been having a problem with the bracket that holds the power steering pump in line with the other pulleys breaking. The bracket will break and then the pump gets out of line and the belt will break. I have had it welded and reinforced but it always seems to break. I was wondering if anyone on here would have any idea as to what is continually making this bracket break.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to assume your referring to the cast aluminum serpentine style bracket that holds not only the PS pump but the alternator as well. I have seen a few of them break from fatigue over the years. And once they're broke, they're broke, and welding on them usually makes the problem worse. The best thing I've found to do is just replace it.

3. pyrocare

pyrocare Junior Member

That one actually does have a crack, but the other one that is only for the PS pump is the one that is breaking. Could the other bracket being cracked be the reason why the smaller bracket keeps breaking?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely. Have seen it before.