1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power steering not working when plow lifted

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JTBitter, Sep 23, 2010.

1. JTBitter

JTBitter Junior Member

I had to move my plow last night and when I tried to turn (with plow raised) it felt as though the power steering went out. While stopped and trying to turn the wheel, it would not move. When roling the steering was better, but still not great. With the plow down the steering was fine. I know it would be somewhat stiff, but didn't think that it would cause the wheels to not steer at all. I have recently replaced the pump, so I wouldn't think that would be the issue. Any thoughts.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

you should always be moving when turning, even if its only a little bit, you are killing the PS pump/box when trying to turn while not moving on a dry solid surface. Also, when plowing, if trying to turn the wheels while stopped you typically have snow underneith to make turning the wheel easier.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

It's because of all the extra weight, just creep forward and it'll turn

4. JTBitter

JTBitter Junior Member

I guess it does make sense why it wouldn't turn when on dry ground, I guess I didn't think of it with normally having snow/ice under it in the winter time.

Thanks for the responses, there is a wealth of information to be had from this site. Guess that is why I'm on here almost every day.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Common problem on the GMT-800s. Its the EVO steering sensor.

Check on a TSB for high steering effort.
    This one is for 04-06 and possibly other years:
    05-02-32-008B 07/18/2007 Steering - Lack of Assist at Low Speeds

More Tech Info:
    EVO System[/b]

The EVO system automatically adjusts the required steering effort in relation to engine RPM or vehicle speed. Delphi’s “variableeffort” steering systems incorporate a controller (The sensor on your steering column) that varies electrical current to the actuator device (The EVO valve mounted in the reservoir of you PS pump) with changes in vehicle speed.

The Electronic Variable Orifice (EVO) system changes steering effort by regulating fluid flow from the power steering pump.

During parking maneuvers, the actuator provides high pump flow for easier steering effort. At highway speeds, the actuator reduces flow in proportion to vehicle speed for improved highway feel and stability.

If power to the solenoid or control valve actuator is lost, the valve keeps the bypass circuit closed so full power assist is provided under all driving conditions. The only indication of trouble, therefore, might be a loss of road feel and/or increased steering sensitivity at highway speeds.
    It’s important to remember that variable-rate power steering only reduces the amount of pressure that reaches the steering gear at higher road speeds. The only way it could reduce power assist at low speed would be in the unlikely event the actuator or solenoid valve failed in the open position. This could cause a noticeable reduction or loss of power assist.
    TROUBLESHOOTING THE EVO SENSOR
    First, disconnect the three-wire connector from your steering wheel speed sensor.
    Next, with your key in the OFF position, use a digital multi-meter to test for resistance between your CKT 1057 (ORN/BLK) and CKT 1059 (LT BLU) wires.
    Then, rotate your steering wheel slowly from lock to lock and record the highest reading.
    If the reading is above 12K ohms, you'll have to replace your steering wheel speed sensor and bearing assembly with a General Motors sensor kit (P/N 26064468), $36.19 from WWW.GMPartsDirect.com at time of writing.