1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power steering leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Dec 26, 2012.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I know it's impossible to know anything without climbing under there but I'm having a tough year with this truck. I go home at lunch time and start it to take back to work as snow is coming, and let it warm up. I go back out to get in and power steering fluid is oozing all over the ground way up in the front drivers side almost beneath the bumper. I can't see anything from under the hood so I'll have to let it sit till the weekend. Just wondering if anybody can give me any ideas? Is there a hose that runs that far up towards the front of the truck? I'm about ready to drive this thing off a cliff this year. One thing after another.
    92 K1500 4.3
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Not sure if your truck has it, but could be a power steering cooler. If I remember correctly, its just a pipe that is run in front of your radiator and that would explain the leak up front. I think it is just the return hose so it shouldn't be under much pressure. You could bypass it in a pinch, but it would be correct to fix/replace it if that is what it is. Good luck
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

A million thanks for your idea!!! I got home and shined a light into the grill and there was a rusty old cooler with fluid all over it. That's why it was dripping under the bumper. I took the grill off and started the truck and the thing was all rusty and had a pinhole in it. I disconnected it and tied the hoses together with a clamp and all is good and I'm back in business just in time. Thanks a million for that idea. Just what I was looking for! I would of never thought of a power steering cooler.
  4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Dig up the part number then check discountpartshub.com for it. I got an OEM GM power steering cooler 26081363 for my 2002 that way for $35 shipped and it was great, it came complete with hoses that had clamps already installed, the clamps were even clipped open so they slid right on, I popped off the clips, and they clamped down...the whole job only took a few minutes.