1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power steering leak 2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chris694205, Sep 4, 2010.

1. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

well my 2003 2500hd with the 8.1 started leaking power steering yesterday.. i crawled underneath to check it out.. the lines could use replacing but thats not where the leak is coming from... it almost looks like its running out of the bottom of the pump itself??? has anyone seen something like this before??
  2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

It could b the shaft seal. Spray it with brake clean or something and re check there common to leak.
  3. chris694205

That would make sense...is there a fix to That or Just a new pump?
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Its probably the tank. Is it rusty at all? They sometimes will just leak right through the tank, or around the neck. I've had to do a couple b/c of that. They are relatively cheap and not a bad job, you'll need the puller for the pulley though. Easiest to get it through the left fenderwell, or at least half and half......remove the inner fenderwell and its right there. Make sure you get the new one with the tank b/c you can get them both ways.

Lines are pricey...................probably don't want to change if you don't have to.
  5. chris694205

I thought about that to... it it pretty rusty along the bottom of it.I just figured that it wouldn't rust enough to leak fluid...well I guess I Better price one up
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yeah I thought the same thing on one of mine. The truck was an 01 and worst case scenario with rust underneath (plow and salt truck from MI). After cleaning and checking it several times it's finally what I figured out. It just seeps through from the inside out. Somewhat like the notorius 7.3 oil pans. They rust from the inside out, sometimes just leaking through bubbled paint on the outside ;)
  7. chris694205

Yup that's what I found to...what a pain in the butt to change to
  8. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Those power steering pump resevoirs are known to rust and become porous and leak, time for a new pump. How's the rest of the things look in there (exhaust manifold heat sheilds, valve covers, etc.) are they showing signs of rust or surface rust? I've seen some GM's that when you open the hood they look like they've been dumped in the ocean and others clean as a whistle.
  9. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

mine went on the way home from buying it! had to replace everything. pump, lines etc... i should have looked closer to the underside. crusty as all hell. slowly getting it back in shape.