1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power steering issue

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kainerul, Dec 6, 2008.

1. kainerul

kainerul Junior Member

i have a 92 f150 extended cab long box with a 7.5' leo which most people outside of Minnesota haven't heard because they are only made in Mn it is basically a downsized industrial plow. the plow and mount weigh approx. 1200 pounds probably to heavy for my truck but i don't do a lot of plowing only local residential accounts i also used timbrens in the front to keep from nose diving. the truck actually handles the plow very well. now to my question on dry pavement at a dead stop i have no steering assist even when i hit the gas the pump just whines louder and louder if i am on dirt wet pavement or snow it turns just fine and when i start to move even 6 inches it turns just fine. i replaced the steering gear the pump and flushed the lines 4 times. now we are thinking of cutting out the small diameter cooling lines to hopefully increase pressure by getting rid of the small tubing. does any one have any thoughts or maybe have had this problem before?

2. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Too much plow. 1200lb. plow on a 1/2 ton? Even a Fisher 9.5 V doesn't weigh that much!

3. kainerul

kainerul Junior Member

i know the plow is too heavy i was reading my post and realized i forgot to mention i had this problem before the plow the plow only made it worse.