1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power steering going... (05 2500 CTD)

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by crazymike, Feb 27, 2006.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have an 05 2500 CTD with an 8.5" western.

The power steering had been a bit stiff and whiney lately. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer for warranty, but I'm not quite sure how my warranty deals with snowplows.

I have to find my copy of it and pile through it, but if anyone has had warranty work on their diesel, I would like to know.

If they are going to give me a hard time, my power steering is very usuable. I can wait until warmer weather, remove the plow, mount, etc... and take it in.

But if I won't get a hassle I will just drop it off with the mount still on.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you have plow prep you should have nothing to worry about.

1st check the Ps fluid level. Whining means air in the fluid which can be from low level or thick fluid (cold temps do that often).

Do you have any leaks on the front of the truck? Could the PS system be leaking? Pull a vacuum line and look for residue in it (the PS pump is joined to the vacuum pump and it was an issue in the 96/97 trucks but should not be now)

3. Hercules130

Hercules130 Junior Member

i think your warranty is good if the dealer installed the plow before you bought it, as stated in the warraty book.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Whats the page # you found this info on?

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

well, the fluid was fine. The first storm I heard it whining I was doing a roof deck. I ran accross the street and got fluid. Topped it up, but it was already fairly full.

It has been cold, and is worse in the cold. But the night it was worst was when it was pooring rain (yes, I plowed in a thunderstorm, we had 3-4cms of snow/slush and a flash freeze coming), and it the pump was screaming.

I had an authorized western dealer install the plow, but not the dodge dealer I purchased it from.

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, a glazed belt can slip without making noise and a slipping belt can reduce the pump flow (and the alt).
    Does it happen with the blade off too?

10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Not as much. I don't overly notice the stiff spots with the plow off, but if someone else drives the truck they notice. So then I get back in and can feel them when I look for them.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sounds like it may be a combination, but load sensitive. Check the belt for glazing, check the tensioner for worn bearings (amount of play should be minimal). Hard to say without actually playing with it, but I am thinking toward the box being out of adjustment.

I have a leaking box on mine, got to top the fluid off every 2 or 3 days of normal driving or after every plow event. As the level goes down it gets stiff at slow speeds and moans & groans. It's been too cold to pull the box and rebuild it....