1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Steering Box and Repair Manual Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by evldsl, Feb 12, 2001.

1. evldsl

evldsl Junior Member

Possibly a dumb question, but here goes. I'm installing a new (GM dealer) power assisted steering box in my '83 G20 6.2 diesel van, and wondered if I need to add gear lube to it, and if so, how and where? Also, can anyone recommend a good repair manual for chevy vans? I've decided to do most of my own work on this beast after being "stung" on a some recent repair jobs. The Haynes manual I now have is lame at best. Is the Chilton any better? Or should I bite the bullet and get the GM set? Any input would be appreciated.
    Currently replacing the heater core. Almost as much fun as a root canal!

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The power box needs no additional fluid,other than the power steering fluid.The heater core in the G-vans are loads of fun arent they?The last one i did was on a Church van,and i did it cheap for them-they are very time consuming.I cant recommend a mnaual,I use Motors professional edition and ALL Data on computer disc,at the shop.The best manual is Helm,th one the dealer sells,its between 90-140 for each one-ouch.

3. evldsl

evldsl Junior Member

Thanks for the tip! Where could I buy the "Motors" manual you were talking about?