1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power steering (3rd gens)

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Banksy, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The last storm I plowed, my steering became tougher and the fluid was really hot. Do any of you Dodge owners experience this? Is the pump weak or was it because I was using the steering a lot? This started towards the end of the day and it's fine the rest of the year. What can I do to help the PS? I can't help using the steering obviously, so.....
    My Fords never had this problem.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

My '03 started to do that, but it would only do that when the plow was on. I wound up selling it before fixing it,but I would assume the power steering pump was on the way out.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I was thinking of installing a Rock Ram steering system. The stock pump and box are replaced with a new pump and box and a hydraulic ram is added to the axle and steering linkage. It's about $1000, so it's just a thought.

I'll change out the fluid....maybe that will help.

4. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

some of those truck have power steering cooler on them. i would follow the lines from the pump and box and see where they go. it doesn't make any weird noises does it?

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It did whine a little. I don't think it has a cooler (if I remember right).

6. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

what does the fluid level look like? it may just be low.

7. sportfury70

sportfury70 Junior Member

If it has a cooler it is mounted in the front just behind the bumper. I have had people think it was a tranny cooler. I had a similiar problem. I flushed system and it works better. My 04 steers better the colder it is.

8. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

It has a cooler all the Diesels do. There are two hoses that go up to the hydro boost remove them and make sure the plastic hose inside the rubber hose did not let loose if it did just remove the plastic hose.

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Do any of you know which hose is the pressure line? I'd like to drain all the fluid and replace it.

Thanks for the replies.

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Follow the lines back from the cooler. One should run back to the resivoir. This one would be the low pressure side. I will look at mine today to confirm.

11. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

DAFFMOBILE you are correct