1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Steerin

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ray, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 78 Bronco that I have replaced all the steering components and can't seem to get all of the air out of the sytem. I bleed the pump when I installed it and the new lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ray

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

what do you mean cant get the air out

their self bleeding

you fill it
    start it and the pump bleeds out the air

need more info

cardoctor

3. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

You start it and cycle the front wheels back and forth and end up with a forthy mess.

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

its a ford thing
    let it settle down for a couple of hours
    refill it and try it again

dont over fill it or it will shot out the vent hole in the cap

cardoctor

5. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Ray, go to Ford and ask a tech. That vent hole on top can be used to bleed air in stubborn cases. Also make sure you use the right fluid. It helped on my truck when I replaced the pump. I think there is a TSB on airbound PS. Good luck!

6. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

When i replaced mine on my 95 f250, the mechanic told me drive it for 500 miles and it should be good after that since it needs to break in on its own.

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

cycle the steering back and forth 4-5 times with the motor off before you start it, thats what the guys at napa told me when I replaced the gearbox in my 78

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Disconnect the coil and use the starter to crank it while turning the wheel left to right (wheels in the air).Keep topping up the fluid,but not too full.When it stops going down,just start it and let it idle,and it should settle down.Hopefully it won't puke it all out.