1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power/Speed plow DURABILITY????

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by GMSNOW, Mar 20, 2007.

GMSNOW Member

I currently run a Western straight plow. Only problem I have had in the past 4 seasons have been a few blown fuses. I am considering buying a new plow next season. I am wondering how durable are these Blizzard Power or the Speedwing plows. I have always run straight blades but like the versatility of having the scooping/cupping ability - this could save me alot of time.

I have been always told the more moving parts on the plow the more parts to break down. What is your opinion/experience.

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have owned both the power plow and now the speed wing. They are both great plows and will speed up your plow time greatly. I too came from a western straight blade, we still run one on my brothers truck. I now get sent to the condos and any other job that requires pushing snow to a specific place. You'll love wind rowing with wings too! As far as durability they are both tough plows. I did have some valve/coil problems with my 810 due to corrosion. Blizzard has since put rubber seals on their coils so this shouldn't happen again. Over all you can't beat the productivity of a blizzard. I chose a speed wing for my new truck to keep things simple, like you said less to go wrong. It also saved weight on the front of my truck. For my application it can do anything that I did with my 810. My new plow is powder coated as compared to my 03 810 and it still looks great. We didn't have alot of pushing events this year but the plow was out everytime I salted, and it still looks good ! Paint is probably one of the biggest complaints on a blizzard.Either plow would be a good choice to speed up your work. Good luck with your decision I think you'll be happy running a blizzard next winter !!!

GMSNOW Member

Thanks for the input. Now that I have been plowing for the past 4 years I want to make the right choice of equipment for my type of accounts and I like what the Blizzards appears to offer.

4. Quicklawn

Quicklawn Junior Member

I have the 810 and i love it was a great move for me to switch brands .:yow!:

GMSNOW Member

How long have you owned your plow?

6. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

i ran my 810 two winters and love it so fast and scrapes like no straight blade ever could. the wings add alot of versitilty and wind rowing is 2x faster with the wing. no run offs.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why not buy a western wide out, use a dealer you're familiar with and get the same technology
  8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Do you know why you keep blowing fuses. I personally would go with the western wideout. You won't have to change the mounts on the truck then.
  9. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Power/Speed & Durability?

I live in Fisher Country--MAINE & having plowed for over 50 yrs mostly w/Fishers I was asked by a close Freind that got SICK during a Storm to Plow His Customers w/ His New Dodge & Blizzard which I Did! Heres the Scoop! this Storm was Deeper & Wetter than Most I Did all mine & all of His over 25 customers in ALL 20 Private Homes & 5 Businesses It Took ME aprox? less than 1/2 the TIME it usually took Me I*M from the Ole School where if some thing Works BETTER! I take NOTICE! the Blizzard Rolled the SNOW & Didn*t Push It like a Fisher! & Don*t get Me Wrong! as Fishers a Good Plow the Main Plow here in MAINE--but--after using the Blizzard theres NO Compairision Blizzard WINS hands Down Its Plows Faster & Scraps better My Opinion--I didn*t at that TIME Consider myself as a Commerical Plower but My Freind Who Ownes several Businesses & Homes is NOT going to be Plowing any More! He just Don*t have the Time? I Bought His Blizzard Off His DODGE which HE Traded for a regular 2 WD New DODGE I have an 88 Dodge 4X4 w/an 8 ft Fisher I Did run into a Problem w/ Blizzard on the Internet as they were NO Help in My neededing the Plow Frame & Push Beam for a 96 Ford but Jerre the PLow Expert came to My Rescue suppyling Me w/ the Parts I needed! THANKS JERRE! I haven*t installed it to DATE! but Soon! Thanks to JERRE Again! to ME the Blizzard is the BEST PLOW I have seen to Date!--OleTower--
  10. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Jim, just imagine what you could do with the 8'HD or the 810 now that you see what the 760LD for the 1/2 tons does.

Again your welcome. Jerre
  11. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

I ran fisher for allot of years in commercial work then 2 yrs ago I switched to a Blizzard 810 just because of the "no brainier it will save time" thought. And yes there is no comparison! The time save is just to great and I could never go back to a straight blade. This year I am going with the 8611. You might want to look at that western wide out first, because the pictures I looked at sure make it look like a light duty plow.
    As for the reliability of the blizzard? I never had any issues with it not working. A couple of times, I had a wing hit some really hard and the top edge get stuck on top. But a some quick work with a screw driver and all was well.
    But I also never had any problems with my fishers! But they just are not as efficient!! And even though the light bar stays on the truck with the blizzard, there still is allot less brackets and stuff with the blizzard. All there is, is a a-frame. Look at what fisher and western have. Yes it comes off with the plow, but there still is allot of extra stuff.
    I plow mostly commercial stuff that includes very large lots to smaller ones.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Now that I have seen a wide out.:eek: RUN AWAY.

Go with the real deal if you want the Blizzard technalogy, not the DDizzard want'a be
  13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Western, Fisher, and Blizzard are all the same company, same plows basically, with the exception of the mounts.
  14. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Not so much...take a closer look
  15. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

the Blizzard plow was designed by the (brothers?) that owned blizzard until selling to DD. DD has created the wideout to broaden their market. I would look very closely at the DD knock offs of the blizzard before buying one. I haven't seen one so cant judge.

Just be careful, from what I have read DD tries to get by with the bare minimum on things sometimes. The polycaster/ tornado disaster from last year will haunt the DD reputation for years to come.

If you can buy a real blizzard I highly recommend it. I LOVE mine and will never be able to go back to a straight blade. Additionally in my opinion - you cant beat the super easy mounting system of the blizzard.
  16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Same hydraulics, lights, and minimal black iron on the western and fisher, otherwise just the same parent co.; right now. The real Blizzard is miles above the knock-offs.
  17. lilweeds

Man you blizzard guys are tough. Right now I'm think the power low pro 8611 for my 06 3500 dmax dump. I know it's a bit large, however looking at the fisher 9.5 x-v it really isn't that heavy, and I think the dmax can push it.
  18. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

It's not an issue of if the Duramax can push it, as I see it, its an issue of the front end being beefy enough to handle the extra weight of the plow.

I am in the same dillema(spelled wrong I am sure) with my 07 Crew, Dually Duramax. Its all about the front end.

19. lilweeds

I know several people with 8.5 fisher v's that only have the 6.0.... The local guy at the plow shop seems to think the couple extra pounds isn't a big deal.
  20. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

I ran the 810 on the front of a Duramax/allison ext cab truck for 2 years. Before that I had a fisher 8' hd mm. I drove 90 miles round trip to work. I have allot of large & smaller lots I plow. So if there was a chance of snow my plow was always on my truck. For 2 yrs before I bought the blizzard I also plowed Verizon cell phone towers in a 5 county circle of my home. This was about a 30 hr loop for me. I always kept about 800lbs of ballast in the truck (usually more for the towers). I quess my point is that I never had ANY issues with the front end of this truck because of weight. I replaced the top ball joints at about 80,000 miles and the bottoms were still stock at 120,000. This truck also pulled at about 30 truck pulls. And with about 10 friends that all plow / play hard with there trucks (all there are ext cab or crew cabs) and I think 3 have fisher vee's, 3 have 9' X-blades and the rest are straight blades. I do not know of any of them having front end problems at all. Personally this year I bought a reg cab duramax/allison and I am getting a 8611LP. It is only 138lbs heavier than the 810 but that extra foot will sure be nice.
    I belong to a few chevy forum sites and I really cant say if I ever heard of a real problem in the front of these truck because of weight. Yes the tie rods and ball joints will wear. But they seem to do that fast enough especially if you crank the torsion bars way up like most of us do.But will the front end just "crash" on us because of weight? I don't think so! And I haven't heard of it yet. And I will surely post and let all know if mine does.
    So just buy the plow you want or need and enjoy!!