1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Shortage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Oasis, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Ok so Ive been having problems for a while with my plow. Well they finally found a peice of metal near the pressure gauge and now it works perfectly..... but.....
    Now I seem to be having a power failuer. Last night during our latest snow storm I was out plowing for about 3 hours and then the plow became sluggish again. Now, however, everytime I moved the plow angle or height the headlights dimmed. After about 3-5 min after this sluggish motion the plow just lost all power and died.

So I know its no longer a plow problem this only leaves the truck.

Im trying to figure out is this a short problem, a battery problem, an alternator problem???
    Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts.

Greatly Appreciated.......

2. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

If you had been plowing for 3 hours before the problem occured.... sounds like the alternator isn't able to keep up with the heavy usage. I'd look into the output and maybe upgrade to a larger amp rated alt if there is one.

3. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I was thinking that but what I dont understand is this is a heavy duty 2500 diesel with dual battery and heavy duty alternator.????? argh...

4. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Even if you have dual batteries, if the alt isn't able to keep up, it just takes a little longer to drain both batt. You sure the plow motor isn't drawing too many amps? I'm having a similar problem, but my HD alt. is producing 125 Amps at full load. My new Blizzard plow is drawing 140 Amps each time I move the joystick. The only remedy is a higher amp alt. They have a 165 amp unit available stock. There is also a company that makes a 200 amp unit.... but is like $300.00.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  5. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

THanks for the input. I hear ya.... I am trying to figure out whats the amps on my alternator. I was under the impression that these heavy duty diesels are supposed to have the 160 amp alternators with the dual batteries. Ill try to find out the amps on it. I dont mind buying a new alternator if thats really the problem. It beats shovelling lol.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can't run your strobes, rear lights, rotating lights, heater on high, radio and headlights all at the same time. You also have a dual electric salter too. I'm not sure if this is your problem but sometimis you have to choos what yuo need most. I don't run any extra power equipment unless it's needed. You also work in really small areas, which involves more blade movements, which takes more power. Shut everything off when in a safe place where it's not needed. I always turn strobes and flashers off when on the road because that is the best time for a recharge. JMO

7. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

For sure... I hear ya

But this happened on Friday and I intenionally didnt run anything other then my plow. No strobes no blues no nothing. Just my heater and wipers.

Grrrr....
    Cant understand it.

8. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I don't know how old your plow is, but it sounds to me that your pump motor went bad. Check to see if you get power at the pump. If you do, check the amps it is pulling. i would bet your pump is pulling a ton of amps. 200-300 amps is normal under load. Anything over 300 means bad motor. I don't think you have a power supply problem at all.

9. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

could this explain why it would work for 3 hours then have problems?

10. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I would definitely check the amps. Either the pump or motor is toast. The metal they found is a sign of something going wrong. The metal could be part of the pump and it was slowing eating itself up and then finally locked up. Either way, this would cause a huge amp draw. So check it before you send your wiring or pump motor into melt down.:rolleyes: