1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power scoops

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EZSnow, Sep 9, 2003.

1. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I've seen "power scoops" mentioned in a couple threads, did the requisite search, and now I'm asking.

What are they?

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Power scoops are like the turkey wings, but just bolt on no drilling. They use the plow shoe bracket to mount on. One pin and they are on or off. John Garagekeeper knows all the details on them, maybe he could pitch in on it.

3. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

v plow

Blizzard

wings

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

SGF, you are mistaken, they are not like v-plow or Blizzard or Pro Wings if you meant by that term.

I did some resourcing and learned that a pusher box is more efficient than V plow. Why? Take a look at the picture that POWERSCOOP posted in Plowsite BBQ thread at the top. With a straight blade, you just simple add two wings that will be 90 degrees or perpendicular to the blade. It become a pusher box. The benefits about them are that they can push alot more snow than V plow can, and also there are less resistance when pushing because the snow rolls easily with the straight blade, making it easier to push than a V-plow which would just simply push non-rolling snow. With these wings, you only need a straight blade, not V plow, which will save you money and also you would not have to worry about those complicated and more components on V-plows, which would be more likely to break down or go wrong. With the straight blade, it keep things simple.

Power Scoop wings appear to be similar to Turkey Wings, but the difference is the mounting. With Power Scoop, you just mount it to the plow shoe mount bracket, no drilling or whatever. With Turkey Wings, as far as I know of, you would need to drill some pretty large holes on moldboard to mount it (it would seems kinda scary to me).

Garagekeeper has been keeping me informed about those PowerScoop products and I am confident that I would without a doubt try them out. :)

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Power Scoops by Sterrett Products

As Walt said they will turn your blade into a "snow-pusher" allowing you to efficiently move the snow where you want it to go.
    Power Scoops close off the sides of your blade for better snow containment.
    They attach using a bracket that mounts to the back of the plow.
    And in most cases they mount where your plow shoes mount and doesn't require any drilling of holes in your moldboard.
    Power Scoops remove in minutes so you can use the plow for normal plowing as needed.

:rolleyes: John................

6. Santo

Santo Banned

I couldn't find "Power Scoops" or Sterrett Products in many searches, Im interested in a set .

7. Garagekeeper

You can get view additional infor at their website. sterrettproducts.com
    The site is still under construction, but does have a little more info then what has been posted.
    :rolleyes: John..................

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Stephen, the post made by POWERSCOOPS was removed because it was considered advertising. POWERSCOOPS is not a sponsor. The is nothing wrong with Garagekeeper posting the link though. :)

~Chuck

9. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

Questions???

Garagekeeper

Can you angle your plow with the power scoops on? I have seen a post that says you cannot...

Also, what about the gap left above the power scoop? Why didn't they just extent it to the top of the plow?

Finally, I saw something on their website about Pro Power Scoops. Is that the same product without the gap above...

Thanks, Adam

10. hammonddpw

hammonddpw Junior Member

I hope you are not trying to compare the power scoops to the turkey wings because from what I have seen there seems to be little to compare. The holes that are drilled in the moldboard to mount the turkeywings are only 7/16" not these so called large holes. how does your plow trip with those power scoops? I think that anyone who has used turkey wings will tell you they can be removed in seconds not minutes. I would also add that by haveing stationary mount wings mounted like they are on the power scoop would seem to add more stress to that mounting area by not being able to give or trip.
    just my 2 cents.
    Rod

11. Garagekeeper

There are no holes that need to be drilled into the moldboard to mount the Power Scoops.
    The mounting brackets attach to the lower angle on the plow frame.
    It seems that a lot of people are confusing the scoops with plow wings or extenders, and they do not add "width" to the plow.
    The scoops are designed to "hold" snow in front of the plow so you can basically move the snow from one location to another, similar to a box plow on a loader.
    In most cases your plow shouldn't be tripping while your pushing snow if the springs are set up correctly.
    But again every thing has room for improvement.
    :rolleyes: John..............