1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Cntrmass, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Cntrmass

Cntrmass Junior Member

I have a newer motor western plow I guess.
    It has a little joystick control.

I run two batteries and every time I lift or angle the blade if I have the radio on it shuts it off. The voltage gauge makes it look like its grounding almost.

It works but I'm sure it shouldn't do that?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You obviously have a bad connection somewhere and when the plow loads down the system the voltage drops below the minimum needed for your radio. Normally the alternator should kick in and make up for this "brown out." It may be just a loose connection on the alternator output cable. You could try putting a voltmeter on the batteries and doing some voltage drop tests. If you put the pos lead on the alt output and the neg on the battery positive post you should see less than a volt difference. The less the better. Hit your plow up and see what the voltage goes up to. If it is more than a volt try a temporary jumper across the same two points, if the problem goes away they look for a loose connection on this wire. It may be that you have a fusable link that is causing resistance. Of course it may also be that the battery or batteries are not connection to the vehicle ground or the positive side. If the batteries are not connecting then the plow will overwelm the alternator. In any case it will be a loose connection somewhere.
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You also might want think about two options

A) got to a higher amp alt
    B) put a second charging using a 10g wire off the "BAT"(back of the alt) to the second battery connected to the positive side of the battery. Also run a separate ground cable from the second battery to the engine block..

we don't know what type of vehicle or plow you have
  4. Cntrmass

Cntrmass Junior Member

The plow is on a 1990 Chevy 1500

The plow is an older western with a newer style pump motor.
    Is there a model somewhere on the mount or pump?