1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power problem

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Mr.Freezzz, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

More Ampers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know there is alot of forums related to problems like this but none that solve the problem.
    This truck has a new 8600 speed wind blizzard plow and the truck is a gas f250. The problem is I Iose all power to the plow and truck totally, only sometimes, when running the plow. I noticed running the plow with lights off helps and the engine rev ed up with more rpms helps. I think I need a bigger battery or a second battery. What have some of you all done for this problem? I don't have a issue on my duramax trucks I think do to the dual batteries on the truck? Or maybe the alternator is not producing enough power to keep up? All wiring is lock tight and grounds are clean tight and secure.

2. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Sounds like the alternator needs to be changed to a high output or go dual battery. How old is the plow? On the old westerns I ran when the brushes in the motor wore out the amp draw was horrendous and used to just about kill the truck. I think the larger capacity battery and HO alternator should do the trick.

3. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Should have also mentioned an isolation diode if you go to the dual battery set up. That will keep the truck battery seperate from the plow battery but the truck will charge both. Good Luck.

4. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

Ok Its a 2010 blizard plow. I set up daul battery yesterday. All is working good so far. Im going to also change the alt. to a 140 min amp output. Thanks alot