1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Plow Users ... Share your tips

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by bliz&hinikerDLR, Jan 8, 2012.

1. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Well since there isn't much snow to plow for many of you right now, I thought I would share some tips with you, and see if you might have some of your own.
    I have been plowing with a Power Plow for about 10 years now. The last four or five have also included dealing with the parts and routine service of roughly a half dozen or so PP's. We plow mainly asphalt parking lots, and we plow when there is any measurable snowfall. Keep that in mind when applying any of these tips to your own situation.

1) Keep your wings partially or fully retracted when there is a good chance of catching an edge or striking an obstacle.

The wings are the most vulnerable part of any winged snowplow. Don't unnecessarily expose them to damage. Also, having the wings straight, and not in the cup position, puts all your cutting edges in line. This allows your plow to trip as easily as possible.

2) Run plow skid shoes

I know some of you out there swear by taking the shoes off. Mainly guys do this to get a cleaner scrape. In most instances a plow with shoes on will scrape just as well as one without. When you start your season set the plow shoes so they are loose by only one washer and let the cutting edges wear into the shoes. Once the edges are worn in you then have the shoes to help share the load of the plow. Not only will shoes help carry your plow over obstacles, but they also help extend the life of your cutting edges.

3) When scraping snow away from a curb, don't cup the wing against the curb.

This is just basic geometry. If the plow is angled fully away from the curb, and the wing against the curb is cupped in, then any strike to the wing will actually force the wing into the curb. Instead, put the wing in a nearly fully extended straight position. This allows a strike to wing to be absorbed by the relief valve in the hydraulics.
    Speaking of relief valves ...

4) Always be sure that the hydraulic hoses for the wings go from the correct port on the manifold to the correct port on the cylinder.

This is especially important for you PH1 guys who liked to reverse switches or coils because it was easier than correcting incorrect hoses. The wings have relief valves that ONLY WORK IN ONE DIRECTION. Reversing the coils or a control switch does not correct the hydraulic flow. Incorrectly hooking up the hoses is nearly the only reason for a bent wing cylinder.

5) Bucket blade or "scoop" mode is the most efficient way to move snow.

Ok, this one may seem obvious ... but I still can't believe the guys who pull into a long lot and immediately begin windrowing. A PP is designed to push huge amounts of snow straight ahead! Get a good head of steam going and you will see, not a pile of snow, but a wave of snow hit the bank. Yes there will be some spill off during these big straight pushes, but you will be able to clear the lot much more quickly. Save the windrow position for cleaning up the spill off.

6) You can make your plow smaller

Use the expandable feature to your advantage. No you don't have a V-plow, but you also don't have to push an extra foot or two of snow if is deep or heavy. Want to break though a bank or peel snow off a pile. See how much more powerful your truck and your plow hydraulics feel with two feet plus of LESS blade.

Well maybe you learned something from this and maybe you didn't. Hopefully you know of something that I missed. Maybe you know something I don't. Please share. Even the simplest tip or trick might be something someone else hasn't thought of.

2. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Now I dont own a PP but fully intend to have one next season. found this to be extremely good advice from someone who has probably been there... broke that.... and fixed that lol:laughing: GREAT post

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

My biggest problem I have had with the 810 and 8611 I have. Is the pivot pins wearing on the push beam. I grease the pivot areas after each storm.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

As I had posted earlier about maint. The frozen wing stop pins, wing pivot pins, and bent cylinder pins. One thing I did, weld stops on bottom side of a-frame. Insulate the hoses everywhere they look like there gunna rub!!. Great post good idea of putting this up!!!

5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Anti seize, grease, & fluid film used liberally...