1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Plow for skid???

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by matt@mcs, Sep 5, 2010.

1. matt@mcs

matt@mcs Junior Member

Does anyone have a power plow for a skid? If so what do you think?? I have a Cat 257b2 on tracks and I pushed a 10ft sectional plow last winter and it did fine most of the time. I looking for something a little more versatile. Thanks

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

never really worked well for us...

Wings always got stuck out, or wouldnt curl back in... I'd go with something different...

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Your gonna want to go with a blizzard 8611ss. Give a call to Rushing Snow & Ice out of South Elgin. If your switching to the blizzard I would be interested in your sectional. PM me if interested.

Ken

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm really having second thoughts on ordering a 8ft Sectional for our skid (sorry Collin) and look hard into the Kage system. A friend of mine used a push box last year (typical type) and even he said if there was a push box thats moves like a plow that would be the cats arss. I told him there are a couple, duh! But 6k for a Kage system is quite a bit more than even a Sectional. Oh what to do! :cry:

5. matt@mcs

matt@mcs Junior Member

The sectional plow is the cats ass!! I've used allot of pusher boxes and it's the best by far!! It is worth every penny of it!!

6. matt@mcs

matt@mcs Junior Member

The sectional plow is going on a bigger skid so it's not leaving!! It was just a little big for a 257 and I want something for it that i can do condos and open lots both, that's why I was looking at a blizzard. If the wings screw up allot I guess i better keep looking!!

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I run a blizzard 810ss for the past 4 seasons with no problems. I have found that it is much more user friendly for what i do. We can back drag sidewalks,loading docks,clear parking spaces,and may other things. I like the option of the box and being able to windrow as needed.

8. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Mike S runs a couple of them. Shoot him a PM and see how he likes them.

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm convinced its a great box but what about back dragging with it? I like the idea of a plow type box like a Kage or Blizzard to back drag some parking areas or loading docks.

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Did you have to mount blizzard controls in the s/s or do they run off the s/s auxilary controls?

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

it has its own little joystick and you just click your function then turn on the aux. on the skid...

another thing, the swithes rust out like no tomarrow and then they stick and its nothing but a PITA....

12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I run an 810ss and am reasonably happy with it. I think for parking lot work, a box blade is fine which is what my ss was plowing last year. In previous years, it was used at a condo complex and the versatility of the 810 was really nice. I don't care for the remote that comes with it so much, but my employee likes it well enough.

13. matt@mcs

matt@mcs Junior Member

You can back drag with it but I would do it all the time. The only problem with the section is once in a while if it trips it doesn't go back down. It seems like when the snow is wet and sticking to everything it does it the most.

14. matt@mcs

matt@mcs Junior Member

I just looked at the kage and it looks like it would be better than a blizzard. The bad thing is that it's price pretty high. It said a 9ft combo was $6072.01 without tax. I can get a blizzard for $4800.

15. matt@mcs

matt@mcs Junior Member

Why would recommend the blizzard 8611ss? Do you think a cat 257b on tracks would handle the bigger of the two?

16. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I agree!!!! 8611 only!!!!!! That is the nice thing about the blizzard, snow is to deep or cant get enough traction you can adjust your blade. 8611 on a JD, CAT, CASE, or Bobcat is the way to go if you have machine that will lift 1800 pounds! And I say that because of acounting for frozen snow and ice on it! LOL found that out the hard way!

17. jasonosu

jasonosu Junior Member
    from ohio

do the blizzards come with a controller to put in the cab for the wing operation?

18. jasonosu

jasonosu Junior Member
    from ohio

i think i once saw someone with a "Bobcat" controller mounted in the cab for his Blizzard wing operation but no one at "Bobcat" knows anything about something like that. anyone here seen one before?

19. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

ever look into a horst?

20. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Yes, If you go to their website and look at the SS plow it shows the controller. Its called the power grip cab controller.