1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power pack builds up pressure...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rret, Feb 8, 2007.

1. rret

rret Junior Member

tried to get an answer to this on the newbie forum but got no response:

I have an older Western (cable controlled) power pack that I'm trying to figure out if it's okay or not. after cycling the cylinders (all 3 of them) I sometimes want to look at the fluid level and so I unscrew the fill bolt. When i do this, fluid comes out under pressure. if i don't have a rag on top of the bolt, fluid shoots out everywhere. IS THIS NORMAL? is it normal for the power pack itself to build up pressure?

2. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

you are probly getting air in the system from somewhere. it probly has a leak somewhere also right? maybe you're turn rams?

3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

it is normal .After every storm we check all levels in the trucks and some squirt the fluid ,others run out with the plug and some are fine. We have about 30 westerns both unimount and ultra mount.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your going to get stuff in the system no matter what you do. Air is going to increase the volume of fluid in the system with bubbles. Don't over fill it either.