1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power pack builds up pressure...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rret, Feb 7, 2007.

1. rret

rret Junior Member

I have an older Western (cable controlled) power pack that I'm trying to figure out if it's okay or not. after cycling the cylinders (all 3 of them) I sometimes want to look at the fluid level and so I unscrew the fill bolt. When i do this fluid comes out under pressure. if i don't have a rag on top of the bolt, fluid shoots out everywhere. IS THIS NORMAL? is it normal for the power pack itself to build up pressure?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

old plow

they don't have a breather in the system,what shape are the cylinder rams in?pitted,leaking.if they are you can draw air and water in with every in stroke of the rams,it also chews up the cylinder packings,if not check to make sure the packing nuts are tight,maybe the packings are worn out! if in bad shape the angle cylinders and all packings are avalible from buyers products{sam} if not from the western dealer,good luck!:salute:

3. rret

rret Junior Member

official Western response...

Dear rret:

Thank you for visiting our website and for your inquiry.

Yes it is normal. The only way is to take that plug out slowly, or if your model has a fill level plug on the side of the unit you can try that. After use there is always pressure. New systems have breathers but still maintain about 12 psi.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Western Products

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Many times, this is caused by overfilling, too. Many people lower their plow before filling and/or checking their fluid levels. Actually, you are supposed to lower it (set to float) AND push the arm the rest of the way down. It is at THIS level that the fluid level should be topped off.