1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power On/Off While Driving..

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ny518, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ny518

ny518 Junior Member

Sorry for the new plow owner question, but I just had a new Xtreme V installed today and I was driving home wondering if I should turn the plow off on the fishstick while I am driving. I guess my concern is if I accidentally put something on the controller while driving.

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I never turn mine off when i am plowing however if i am just transporting the plow(like you were today) i normally do turn it off. If your afraid of putting something on it then turn it off. I don't think it will effect anything either way

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Mine is always on when traveling to the location of plowing. It has saved me a couple of times where I had to drop the blade like and anchor on pure ice. I was going less than 10mph and the truck was sliding down a hill (sharp corner at bottom of hill) heading for a ditch. I dropped the blade and it help me slow down and stopped as the plow hit the shoulder of the road. I have been plowing for 15 years and there have been other times I had to drop the blade as well. This was the most memorable.
    T.J.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

turn it off if you feel safer

5. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

X2

if the blades hooked up its on, you never know.

be mindful of where it is....ive never hit it by accident

6. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

Funny story I kept mine off last year when it was not snowing but I was going to get lunch and pulled into a taco bell drive thru and they had concrete poles that are just a little wider than an average car length from the curb and WHEW came really close to having a bad day and owing taco bell money lol so yeah now it stays on just hooked to the mounting bracket on the dash.:salute:

7. tac48

tac48 Member

I have hand held controllers. I turn mine off unless I am hanging on to it or it is in a holder. I have had a few close calls by bumping a button with it left on laying on my lap or seat or cup holder.. I think it just comes down to what is the safest for you.

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

They turn themselves off after.....10 or 15 minutes anyway. I do turn mine off if I'm going on the highway however.

9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

That's a very good idea, couple times I about used that technique....!

10. snowtech

snowtech Member

i leave mine on too, its always on my lap and i have had to use it as an extra brake. its like anything else you will find what you are comfortable with over time