1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Location 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pastorarmen, Dec 11, 2005.

1. pastorarmen

pastorarmen Junior Member

I am looking for an Ignition Switched Power tap to supply my touchpad controler. Does anyone know were power can be found on a 2500HD?
  2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I use a fuse tap, grab your testlight and find a switched 12 volts in the fuse box, then pull the fuse and find out which of the 2 terminals that the fuse plugs into is the supply and tap in there. A fuse tap is a piece of metal that goes around the fuse and allows you to plug in a connector to it and run from there. Only do this for small amp items. Your plow controller would be fine.
  3. pastorarmen

Neater Solution

I was hoping for a neater solution.

There is a pannel right by the brake, where the electric brake controler plugs in. There should be power there, but I can't find any schematic of the pin outs. Since the controller power line is fused, it would actually be easier to run a power line back from the solenoid with the controler bundle and put a manual switch on it.
  4. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

by the brake pedal

remove the cover to the left of the brake.use a test light and go across the terminals with key off and find the ones not powered.turn key on and locate one that is now live and tap into it.thats where i found power but am not sure exactly which one it was.there should be a few there that are key powered.
  5. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

You can also just remove the plastic around the steering column and on the left side tap into the ignition wire that is switched. Your touch pad controller should come with a fused power wire.
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

They moved the power pins up to the left side of the fuse box, left end of the dashboard. Not sure which one's are hot all the time or switched. I did have a problem with my 01 Chevy keeping a female connector onto those pins, keep hitting it with my foot and knocking it loose.

Regards Mike
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

These are the fuse taps you need.

They have a fuse for what WAS in that location, and then you insert a fuse for what your pulling off of that.

Pepboy's carries them. Others do too, i'm sure.

The brass fuse taps just seem to be a quick fix rig job to me.
  8. pastorarmen

Thanks for the help.

Taping off the interior pannel seemed like the best idea, but without knowing what you are tapping into I think I might do more damage.

These fuse/power taps look like the best solution.

Oh for the simplicity of a pre-1976 vehicle!:nod:
  9. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Do you still have the factory brake controller/hitch harness that came in the glove box (6' cord with plug on one end and bare wires on the other)?, if so i can help you. Call me for a factory source that uses that harness.

Have tapped (soldered) almost every power wire under the dash of '02-05 2500HD's!
  10. pastorarmen

Switched option

I realize I can use the power on the brake controler for constant power. I am looking for a convenient sourse for Ignition switched power.

Does the brake controller plug have a switched slot that is not used for the brake portion? If so, which pin?

I have not had any luck finding a pinout for that block or any of the individual connectors in it.