1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Issue

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by sargex595, Mar 7, 2015.

1. sargex595

sargex595 Member

I have a 2013 GMC 2500 with a minute mount 2 plow that came off my 2005 GMC 2500. When the dealer switched over my plow, he took the small red wire that I believes powers the fish stick and just pull out a fuse and put the stripped end over one of the spade ends of the fuse and plugged the fuse back in. Last winter the night before the first snow storm, I went to hitch the plow and had no power to the fish stick. I took it back the next day and that is when I saw how the dealer powered the fish stick. The wire had come lose from the fuse. He just pulled a fuse from the fuse block under the hood and bent the wire over the end of the fuse and plugged the fuse back in. Ever since then, every time I used the fish stick, a warning alarm goes off and I get a message that says "Service Traction Control". This would happen when ever I angled the plow. This year I went and got a thing that plugs into a fuse slot so you can run two fuses from the same fuse slot. It has a wire that comes off so you can wire something into it so I powered the fish stick with it. I put it into a different fuse slot thinking this might solve my problem. It did seem to stop me from getting the error message I was getting but I noticed that my compass stopped working and was showing (--) instead of the (NE,SE, etc.). After a few weeks, I started getting the alarm warning and the same error message " Service Traction Control" but instead of it happening when I angled the plow like last time, it does it when I raise the plow but not all the time. I guess my main question is, where it the best and proper place to power the fish stick controller? The wire is a small gauge wire and it was and is wired to a 10A fuse. I don't remember what I tapped into on the fuse block but didn't think either time it had anything to do with traction control or my compass. I have had the car dealer check for a error code and the truck doesn't show any. Sorry for the long thread.

Thanks,
    Curt.

2. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

Get your battery tested. Check the connections at the battery(tight no corrosion?) Also check the ground on the frame. Just make sure the wire tapped into the fuse box is a keyed 12v not constant. Usually get those wierd mesages from a weak batt or bad ground

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

First off go buy a fuse tap. I believe there is a 10a fuse labeled as accessory that we use when installing plows on GMCs.

4. sargex595

sargex595 Member

I will check the battery and ground. I did buy a fuse tap, just didn't know the proper name for it. I will read up on the fuse block and try to find that 10a accessory tap.

Thanks for the replies.
    Curt.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]

I have one of these I bought at Napa.Bought a few extra fuses and removed the cruise control fuse from the fuse panel inside the truck and installed it

6. sargex595

sargex595 Member

That is what I bought and used but I have to check to see what fuse I removed to use it.

Thanks,
    Curt.

7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Look on the cover of the fuse panel,that will tell you what fuse you removed