1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

POwer Hitch ...works randomly

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by puredreamz, Jan 20, 2014.

1. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

I have a LT760 with PH1, Power hitch 1. It works randomly, im guessing a broken wire or switch, basically looking for some feedback.

* the plow functions 100%
    * power hitch works randomly

* the only thing im confused about i usually jump power from the pink wire to the battery when it acts up and i need to get my plow off, but the last time i tried not even jumping the wire got it to work.

2. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

everything else working good? if that's the pink in the controller , that's adding power to the switch, pull the junction apart going to all solenoids on valve block, look under the motor cover for the wiring legend, you can jump the wires to the solenoids needed to drop the hitch there , eg alligator clips from the motor terminal, look there too for any wires coming out of the plug there too, you may be right about a broken wire , check your grounds coming from solenoids

3. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

under the motor cover is where i jumped the wire just behind the connector on the switch

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If you bypassed the switch and you still have problems it must be downstream then, wiring /solenoid etc. just have to follow it through

5. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

ill give it a try, hopefully its not where its covered in the braided sleeve

6. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

if you are jumping the pink on the plow switch and it still isn't working then I would suggest you try what I said above, you need two wires to activate power down mode, if it works with the jumpers, then check for wiring ,you have a diode board/dongle that could have a diode gone on it, have you a new switch to try as well

7. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

i havent been able to check been snowing here. what do you mean u need two wires? ive done it before with one jumper wire, i tried again the other day and didnt work no power. i have no idea where to start with the diode not even sure where its located and so on.

I wanna take out my test light and multimeter to test for continuity but its too cold to be out.

8. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

take your motor cover off and look at the wiring diagram under it, when you pull that connection apart that connects all of your solenoid wires to the harness is where you have to run jumpers, you have either a diode board or diode dongle on your plow harness, you are throwing in a jumper way before that point, so go right the solenoids to see if they work first before you try any where else

9. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

this is becoming frustrating and usually get pissed and cant think straight does someone wanna walk me through this:

today i checked if all was good with the solenoid with is because the plow still functions 100%
    pink/ black wire just before the switch for power nothing
    pink black wire before joystick no power

10. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

then have you power to the switch that supplies power to the controller, don't forget to check your fuse on the in line fuse to the controller, if so you got power to the plug off the truck, go down load some schematics from the blizzard site , sounds like you just don't have power to the controller

11. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

you can also just introduce another supply power wire into the controller on the pink black at the switch an go with that til you figure it out, be sure you fuse it with a ten amp fuse

12. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

i assume it has power to controller, if i flick the switch down the plow works. I dont know about any inline fuse in controller.

13. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

then pull the controller apart , and see if you have power coming to the switch, if you don't then check the fuse, you will see once inside all switches are powered by the pink /blk. its a 3 dollar switch to bring power in, it could fail, if you got power to the switches then figure out why it doesn't make it to the front of truck, you are almost there

14. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

ive got another trackpad controller, can i just hook up the trackpad controller to see if it works but i wouldnt wanna use it i find it hard to use.

15. puredreamz

puredreamz Senior Member

update : extremely weird seems like the devil is playing games with me, today the plow went dead i couldnt move up down left or right. So i tried the connector cause sometimes it comes loose, still nothing. I started fiddling with some 4 gauge power wires off the power then tried the plow it came back to like i chanced trying the power hitch and it started working as well. I put the power hitch up and then decided to take off my plow later on that day the power hitch was dead again but the plow was working i started fiddling with the 4 gauge power wires off the battery and all of a sudden the power hitch worked. I ended up taking it off, hopefully when i need to put it on again it works....

anyone have an idea or a suggestion whats going im stumped.

16. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Funny part is that the 4 gauge power wire runs from the switched solenoid right to the motor with no other wires feeding back into the system, the 4 gauge ground does the same, right from the plow to the battery , but it does supply a small ground wire back to the controller, but if I remember right its to supply a ground source that is switched to control the headlight relay.
    when it all goes dead , do you hear the pump motor running with no solenoids being activated , or does everything just go dead
    I had something similar just like you happen to me a few plows back, where everything was going dead, I ended up hooking a small little lamp coming from the controller directly from the power in fused wire, and another from the lift control wire, in doing so when it happened again I would look to be sure I had power into the controller, and upon lifting , I would have power going out, turned out my switch for the plow operation/off/power hitch wasn't always working, flipping it back and forth a few times would allow it to work for a while but it was the problem.
    the thing is. that power wire coming in supplies power to both the power hitch, and all functions coming from the controller, so maybe put a small light from the supply power to be sure you got power there when things don't work you will be sure it had power.
    another thing to do is just by pass the switch with a short length of wire slid under the power in wire tab directly to the tab on the side of the switch that goes out to run plow functions, with that and the light you will be able to see that you have power into the controller and feel confident it should be leaving the controller, remove it when you finish testing, or when you need the power hitch mode.

not sure if any of that helps you any , but it seems funny that you seem to loose all functions, at once , and it seems like a power delivery failure