1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power hitch vs. Power hitch 2

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by bhmjwp, Jan 28, 2010.

1. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I have a 860 Speedwing with a Power hitch. What is the difference in this and the new Powerhitch2? I am looking at adding a Speedwing and would like the flexibility of using both plows on both trucks? Is this possible with these hitches? Are all Blizzard plows now equipped with Powerhitch2? Thanks for any info-have searched but not found the answers.
  2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING that interchanges betrween these 2 plows.
    Completely different monsters.
  3. damian

damian Senior Member

the old style is way better,the biggest problem with the new design is you must lower the dual kick stands while the plow is on the ground this prevents you from 'cheating' the kick stand higher as you do with the old style when you lower it before dropping the plow to the ground.when you back away from the new style plow your truck rises making the plow too low.not impossible,just not as good as the old.i am sure you will see this design change in the future. it is far from perfect but in order to make the lights and pins stay with the plow and the power hitch work without lowering a draw latch this is what they came up with
  4. damian

damian Senior Member

douglas dynamics doesnt sell the old style power hitch 1 design anymore,some dealers have old stock and spare parts are still avail from douglas,like mentioned above you cant hook up a powerhitch 1 to a 2 and vise versa. sharpcut is right these are like different brands.
  5. Chad56

Chad56 Junior Member

You still can get power hitch one on certain models fulss size 8611 and 760 sw for now. The main difference between the power hitch one and two is the light tower comes off with the plow and doesnt stay on the truck, has a one inch pivoit pin instead on three quarter, dual adjustable kickstands, springloaded pins that stay with plow they do not come out, the pump has been turned on its side so its easier to work on, and the push beam is removeable so you can have more ground clearance when your not plowing. It comes off very easy. Two pins.
  6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

unfortunately, NONE, and I mean NONE, of the electrical will work. PH1 has solenoid under the hood, not controlled by isolation module. PH2 is computer controled, solenoid out on the plow, controler only has 4 pins, uses Multi-plex wiring. Even if you made adaptor brackets for the mount, wiring is wrong.
  7. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Thank you for all the information. This is 5x the amount I have found w/2 dealers. I wonder is the 760SW and the LP might be on the chopping block? Its frustrating because I think the Speedwing and or the 810 is the best of both worlds for multi function plows. I especially like the Speedwing for its simplicity of operation and repair. About as close to a Meyer/Fisher straight blade in ease of repair and maintenance.

I am going to look for a 760 SW at end of season for next year-and most likely another 860 SW to warehouse until needed. The 760 defiantly has its place for 1/2 ton application on small to average lots.

DD may make some future improvements to be a better plow-but up until now I it seams only changes have been to consolidate manufacturing, ect. All of this interest in mounting systems of late has no value for me-on in Oct-off in Apr. But I realize the advantqage for the daily drivers.
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Call Jerre, he'll be more than happy to talk to you and devise a solution for you. It sounds like a broken record response, but Jerre is da man when it comes to white plows (or any power wing plow for that matter, he's run them all at some point or another)...

Not exactly related to the issue already answered, but I have found that my 800HD and 810PP are interchangeable on my trucks. I can run my 810pp on my 250 without the wings (yes, the truck looks like a 2WD) and vice versa. The wiring harness is the same. Just an FYI. Hope I wasn't too redundant
  10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Not to say Jerre does'nt know his *&^% (cause he does) switching between PH1 and PH2 just wont work without running 2 different sets of wiring, 2 different controllers, ect. ect. Not economicly feasible, and I have'nt even gone to the mount portion. New plow is computer controlled. Take a look at one , you'll see what I mean. New Western would'nt be an issue, it would hook up, just need to change receivers.
  11. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, I heard that Western's would sort of fit the new Blizzards... well isn't that smart...
  12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm not implying that Jerre can make PH1 compatible with PH2. What I am saying is that Jerre would be able to set him up with all the same plows. He's refurbishing used units, when he gets finished with them, they're better than they were from the factory. I wouldn't hesitate to run them in a fleet, especially compared to the garbage that DD is putting out these days....

Multi-plex wiring has no business being on a snowplow. It doesn't have to be that complicated, it really doesn't.
  13. snowboss94

snowboss94 Junior Member

the power hitch 1 is 2 different parts,plow and light come off seperate,the power hitch 2 is all one piece,like fisher,or boss....
  14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Are the new Speedwings using Insta Act Hydraulics that are the same one's used on the Fisher/Western Straight blades?
  15. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

maybe this is off subject a little but with the PH2 do you have to push the light bar up to lock in the pins by hand??? the video on their site is no help with the camera zoomed in on the two buttons. just wanted to ask you guys that have them because we are looking at adding a sw860 or a hiniker scoop to another truck for clean up stuff.
  16. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

No you just drive up to it like the 810 pp use the PH2 rotate the two feet and latch the two plow pins to the truck side mount. But it is not as convenient as the 810 pp.