1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power for lights

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Cond Enterprise, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

I have a 2012 F250 6.2 and want to add some 1300 lumen led lights to the rear to help light the night and was wondering if I can just tap into the factory reverse wire at each taillight?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lets hope we got a lot of snow this year!!:nod:

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, I'm running Rigid's at 3200.

3. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

Man those Ridgid lights are pricey...I love the flush mount, looks sick! Is the diesel wiring different from the gassers?? I have a buddy who tried to put a set of tractor supply lights on his truck and when he tapped the light at the rear he had no lights..had to run power from battery????

4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

If it has a 7 blade rv plug there is power in there for when you put it in reverse then make a whip that you can unplug when not in use

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just switch them from in the cab that way there on all the time

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I just tapped into the 7 way plug for my back up lights. So I didn't have to make a pigtail. Plus it is so nice when backing up a trailer at night.

7. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

Pics of how you tapped the 7 way plug?? Or how you made a 7 way plug?? I want it to be simple but bullet proof too....:rolleyes:

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Buy a 7 pin plug male socket or a pre wired tail, your reverse lights are the center pin, the neutral is in there also, to the left or the right of the detent.

If you want the lights on all the time like half the knukle heads driving around here, power it off the running lights.

9. kimber750

I pulled the 7 way off my truck, opened it up and added a wire to the center pin. Ran this wire to the positive for the lights and and ground the lights to the mounting bolt for the lights. If you want you can add a second wire to the 7 way for ground. It will be the white wire or marked with a 1.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you want to add back up lights you should do this. Use a 30 amp fog light relay. You wire it so : The relay switches the positive power to the lights. You use the positive signal from the back up lights to trigger the relay. You switch the negative leg on the relay trigger so you can turn off the lights when you want. The back up switch on the transmission is not rated for the amp flow of extra lights. You burn it up, it's not pretty to change. I can explain better if you need it. Not a problem. Send me a PM. Been there done it.

11. kimber750

On my F350 the circuits in the 7 way are separate from the trucks lighting. Also LED lights have very low amp draw. Most modern vehicles use reverse switch to power a relay for reverse lights.

12. MickiRig1

I know the LED's pull low amps. I was attempting to help educate people on the draw backs of using the back up light circuit as a power source. A constant on fog light relay is easy to change. I see a lot of people using the tractor head lights for back up lights.. ( Maybe 120 Watts roughly 10 amps ) Imagine how many times you go into reverse a night plowing. My method you can turn them off. Cut off your back up alarm with the negative line switched too.

13. kimber750

I agree with 100% on relay with anything other than LED, especially when tapping into the vehicles actual reverse lights. I was just going off OP's original question.

14. MickiRig1

Not a problem! I try to educate people so they don't make costly mistakes. We are a Brotherhood of snow plow addicts!

15. 1olddogtwo

I follow clearly what you are saying and I agree with you but without getting in to a pissing match, I disagree also.

There isn't a "switch" , there is TCM that controls the transmission that is very expensive to replace. It sends many signals to many place as well as receives. It collects all kinds of info, that is what's triggers the light indicator, reverse camera, reverse aid, revesre lights among some of its functions. Sounds like a lot already, right? Some off these functions are already ran off relays, this include the back up lights. So the question is if the back up lamps are already on a relay, why add another one for one amp draw?

I will leave the trailer tow package alone for now. That's almost a stand alone.

The OP asked a very detailed question about something very so specific, we as a group like pose answers that aren't answers but like to twist the conversations so the are answers.

16. 1olddogtwo

I should also note these are my only reverse lights. The factory clears have strobes in place of back up lamps.

back up lights 047.jpg

back up lights 059.jpg

back up lights 057.jpg

back up lights 055.jpg

back up lights 048.jpg

17. 1olddogtwo

I did some very similar when I had these a few years

2010-08-12 16.44.13.jpg

2010-08-04 20.27.17.jpg

18. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Scotch locks are never a good idea. No matter how well you try to seal them it doesn't last. You would be better to solder and heat shrink. Plain di electric grease don't do much.

19. 1olddogtwo

20. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'll say heat shrink butt connectors all day long