1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Flush????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Trails End Lawn, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Trails End Lawn

Trails End Lawn Junior Member

I have been told to make sure I power flush the tranny in my Dodge.Can any one tell me exactly what this is. i know what a flush of the tranny is but why is this better. Such as how it is performed, what it helps, how often to do it, and how much they will charge for it. Thanks again
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

About 2/3 (or more) of the transmission fluid is inside the torque converter. There is no convenient way to drain this fluid during a "traditional" drop the pan transmission fluid/filter change. Power flushing changes all of the fluid in the transmission. The downside is you don't replace the filter in the process.
  3. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

I work in a shop that offers the tranny flush, It is a machine that is hooked up to the trans lines and is run with the vehicle running and it changes all of the trans fluid. As far as when to do the service? I do my truck in the fall before plowing season starts. and in the spring I change the filter and add 3 quarts. :)

1983 GMC 2500 W/meyer 7.5
    1989 TOYOTA W/western 6.5
    1986 TOYOTA W/305 swap (money pit)!!!!!!!!!!
  4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Make sure when you get it done they use ATF+4 you don't want anything else.
  5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Also, in many newer trucks, it is not required that the trans filter be changed. Power flush is a great way to go. In my many years I have never seen a good trans with a dirty filter. Kinda sounds redundant but it is true. Theoretically, your filter will only get dirty if there is an internal problem or if you get water / contamination in the fluid. Both problems can be diagnosed by looking at the fliud during a change or at routing fluid level check.
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

A proper power flush will change all fluid in the trans and converter. then it will extract all fluid out of the pan via the dip stick tube so the the filter can be changed with no mess. then the amount of fluid removed from the pan will be replaced.....
  7. Plow Meister

Not to say it diesn't happen that way... I just have never seen a power flush that extracts the fluid from the trans pan via the dipstick tube during a power flush. The machines I always see are hooked up in line with the trans cooler on the radiator. You fire up the vehicle and put either in Neutral (many Dodge vehicles) or in park and the trans pump in basically "exchanges" the old with the new. After that the machine is disconnected, you pay your bill, and off you go. No need for a filter replacement.
  8. biggtruck

biggtruck Junior Member

Not to say it diesn't happen that way... Proper grammer, Hey practice what you preach (diesn't) Had to bust you. All in good fun. I've never heard of power flushing, but does sound like a good idea.
  9. Plow Meister

Oops, trying to type while holding a baby. It's new to me. :rolleyes: