1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power draw normal?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hotshot4819, Oct 8, 2009.

1. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

hey guys, i have recently taken my plow out of storage.

while idling im getting 13.9 volts, while lifting the plow im down to 11.9

then shoots right back up.

boss says this is normal i called my local dealer.

i have new batts and alt..

grounding issue on plow maybe? or am i just being worried for no reason

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Sounds normal to me, I'd be worried if it didn't come back up.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Always a good idea to clean and inspect connections but that is not an unreasonable reaction. You could see it drop further if you let it scream against the pressure relief

4. hotshot4819

really, wow. i wouldnt think it would get that low.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

11.9 volts against the pump isn't bad at all. A substandard alt/battery/wiring will drop much more that that (in the high 10's).

Must have a decent setup. :drinkup:

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the amp draw.

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

If it's not a dual post motor you might want to add an additional ground stud and wire at the plow motor. Also check you power feed wire from the alternator to the battery to see if the fusable link has been compromised. Also on the boss it's common to see the installer ground to the motor block or the truck frame. IT NEEDS BATTERY GROUND.

8. hotshot4819

i will check all those that have been listed so far.

the plow i have is the first year 9.2 v xt so a 2006?

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

It sounds more then good to me... What did you expect... For it to not move at all?

10. hotshot4819

i expected it to stay in mid 12's
    even for the second it below 12 its draining your batt.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why we all (should) run high output alternators, oversize charge cables from the alt. to Battery, the highest amp hour battery (ies) we can fit in the hole and many run dual batteries.

Why experienced operators only lift/angle when they have to and get off the power the minute the units hits the P. R. valves.

Why when you are doing a forward/reverse type push you only raise the plow enough to clear the ground.

Why power cable maintenance should be as high or higher priority as fluid maintenance.

Grounds require maintenance too, often overlooked they are the other side of the power equation. Their condition is as critical as the power side.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely it is. The amp draw of most plow motors can exceed 200 amps. Combine this with the low output of the altenator at idle, which is already under load just running the truck, and you will see a voltage drop. That's why you have two batteries. Essentially, the batteries power the plow, and the altenator recharges the batteries.

Just wait until you have all your lights on, strobes, and your foot on the brake while in gear.

13. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I agree with everyone,,,,,you never going to cut out or even significantly reduce the draw, but you can make sure that the vehicle can more than compensate for it through the items mentioned above, even simple things like cleaning and sealing your terminals. No way around it, sling a 900+lb piece of equipment up off the ground and side to side is gonna take a butt-load of electricity no matter how you look at it.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto and couldn't have said it better myself on all accounts. The plow places a hurting on the electricals but it's the operator that determines how long they survive whether it's a night...or for years.

15. Riccas

Riccas Member

I've drained both my batteries on my duramax several times. Constant and heavy use drives the voltage right down. My batteries are almost 3 years old now... but last year i was needing to wait a min or two on occasion so the truck wouldn't stop powering out

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This may or may not be related, but when I keep my foot on the accelerator, the fuel gauge goes down and will not come back up, is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Disconnect the fuel gauge..........................

Add a back up fuel tank in the bed tied to a tanker truck and refill when the red light comes on......

Ride shot gun and let the driver worry about it.....

J

18. Mark Oomkes

Hey, that'll work.

I was just thinking that I could take my foot off the gas. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

And you wonder why you have so many posts erased <------No D word here

20. Mark Oomkes

Oh come on, admit it, you got a good laugh out of it.

I bet even both of them. :nod: