1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power drain

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dshirk21, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Dshirk21

Dshirk21 Junior Member
    from ohio

i have a 2003 ram 2500 hemi with a 8'6" boss straight blade...after a couple hours of plowing i notice the battery gage going up and down when i raise and angle the plow...is this an alternator problem or what?
  2. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

i know someone who is having the same problems. NOt sure what it is. Let me know if you can figure out what it is.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Welcome to plow site:waving:
    Here is a link that will give you some infohttp://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=30919&highlight=battery
    If you have any more Q's feel free to ask in the Dodge section or the repair section.
    Your volt gage is bouncing up and down from the load your applying, IE: all of your lights heater engine, PLOW ect..cet.. Do you have the plow prep group? If not a bigger alt will help too
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  4. Dshirk21

Dshirk21 Junior Member
    from ohio

it doesnt have a plow prep pkg that im aware of...with dodge plows voids all the warrenty right?
  5. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

just rememer that the average pump motor draws over 100amps. go dual batts and a big alternator.
  6. Mardigan

Mardigan Junior Member
    from MA. USA

I have a 97 Ram 2500HD with a 360 V8 and the plow prep package (HD front end, High output Alt).
    I run a CP-8ft plow I have a new battery and my power gauge swings allot
    while using my plow(up down left right etc.). Elec. pumps pull large amounts
    of power each time you use them.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You can get a second battery tray for your truck from the dealer. Then get another battery of the same make and size and hook them together. Hooking up the + to + and - to -. This will help a Lot. The electric motor on your plow draws a lot of AMP's when the pump is dead headed _on by-pass. This gives you readily available CCA, AMPs that do not need to be generated instantly by the ALT.

Next, an over looked cause is your ground wire for the plow. Where is it hooked up? The best spot is the same spot your ALT uses for ground on your motor, next spot is the Neg terminal on your Battery.
    For more answers to your problem take a look at the Dodge section:waving:
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Adding a plow technically voids the warranty, YES.

Does Dodge honer there warranty on trucks with a plow on them?
    Answer ,most of the time they do.