1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Drain Plow or Alternator

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by IndySnowPlowers, Feb 3, 2004.

1. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

I have a 1997 Chevy z71 Silverado 1500 w/ Boss RT3 7.5' plow.

Last year I had no issues while plowing...just for the record! :)
    This is my second winter with this plow too.

When plowing and moving the plow left to right or up my dashboard voltmeter goes down to 9-10 volts, dims lights really bad, slows wipers and bogs down the heater...etc. It goes back to 14v eventually. Truck never has died....yet.

With the plow attached (not plowing) when I have heat and rear window defrost on my volt meter goes to about 12v, turn heater and defrost off and I am ok, 14v.

Today I took the plow off and when I have ALL the things running in my truck i can....heater, defrost, radio, lights ....my volt meter dips just below 14v, not that bad.

I have put a new battery in also. Just over the weekend and it is still doing all of this. When i hooked up a volt meter to the alternator the other day is was putting out just over 14v too.

So, is it the alternator wearing out or something with the plow (maybe motor) drawing too much power? I would have guessed alternator until i took the plow off and it seems to be a lot better. Maybe something wrong with my wiring in the truck too, bad ground or something? I have some issues with my blower motor locking up, which leads me to the possibility of internal wiring.

Anyway, maybe somebody has had this happen to them before. Any input is appreciated!

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I would first check & CLEAN all powers and grounds(including battery). A poor connection will cause the plow pump motor to draw 3+ times the normal amperage. Take each one apart clean them with a wire brush and emery cloth. Make them and their mating surface shiny. Start with the basics before you start chasing gremlins.
  3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

And dont forget the dialelectric grease upon installation, I swear by that stuff. I use the protective marine coating bought at west marine that sprays on and last. My 2 cents.