1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power door locks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Team_Yamaha, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I am working on a buddies 2000 GMC 2500 (same body style as the 1500). Right now the door locks automatically lock once you hit 20-25 mph. How do I turn this off?? I have tried a few things but no luck. Any help would be great...

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Good grief,just went thru that yesterday!:realmad: ,The book is kind of unclear,we tried a bunch of stuff and were not sure which really worked but try this-
    pull back on the dimmer/signal switch and hold it
    turn the ignition on/off,on/off and release the dimmer
    now hit your driver side unlock button once
    Repeat these steps 3 times in a row,like i said we tried so many things but it seems this was the last way we tried it,Good luck:waving:

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TEAM............99 and some 00s the locks are automatic
    and lock by themselves at 15-20 mph and cannot be
    defeated. Later 00s and up you can program them to
    go on , off, or automatic......What a PIA !
    My 02 Caddy they are automatic and I hate them. I
    cannot override them like I could in my 96 !......geo

4. Arc Burn

That truck CAN be bypassed,it's the same one i just did the other day,now getting the combonation right is another story:D

5. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

.... um.... Why do you want your doors unlocked when going 25mph? Should we be contacting your local police? :D

They do have odd ways of bypassing stuff... There was a time when a guy didn't have to read an owners manual. But in this day and age of "to deactivate automatic headlights, simply honk your horn twice, slam passenger door once turn dome light on then off, tune your radio to 88.1, hum the intro to Copperhead Road, recline seat fully and repeat 3 times" a guy actually has to read them. Not like you can really memorize it unless you do it everyday. It's nice to deactivate the headlights at times, fer sure.

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I must be a bit dense, but what advantage is there to having the door locks engaged when you're traveling? It's not like it drops a second latch in place or anything, it just stops you from opening the door. I can't see where there is any extra security involved unless you're going to be accosted by a carjacker while whipping down the highway. I suppose htere might be some security from carjackers in the systems that lock the doors when you drop it in gear, but any of those I've seen take forever to unlock when you park. Overall, I'll take my locks manual please.

7. NoStockBikes!!

Dunno... maybe to make it harder to fall out or something... That's what I was getting at with my joke above, like he wanted to be able to easily toss somebody out... My '02 Chev unlocks immediately when it goes into park, and locks when it starts moving. Might be a bit of time delay. The only time I've found it to be a bother at all is when I pull up to drop someone off, and they have to either unlock manually, or I have to put it in park. Inevitably they try to get out and it's locked... My guess is that it's safety driven, that the vehicle "defaults" to locked unless it's in park. My guess is some dumb person prolly ran their mom over and sued Chevy so they had to do this to further idiot proof themselves.

8. Arc Burn

There is no sense in it Alan,thats we are trying to help him bypass it:realmad:

9. maudeb

maudeb Junior Member
    from 36279

I have always understood that it was to (help keep) doors more secure in the chance that the auto was involved in an accident:waving:

10. sonjaab

ARC...My buds 99 ...no way to defeat them ! My 01 will
    do 3 different settings according to my owners manual.
    I got them shut off anyway........
    If there is a way type it here......My bud will be grateful !

11. NoStockBikes!!

Just a matter of finding the right wire to snip...

12. Arc Burn

sonjaab,my post was in response to a 00' model which Team_Yamaha needed,i honestly do not know about the 99' but am certain about the 00' cause i just did it on mine,sorry bout that.

13. sonjaab

ARC...........No problem bro........I have read at a few GM
    truck threads that some early 00s cannot be programed
    either. GM either wised up or used up leftover parts ,,,,
    I DO wish I could shut the DARN things OFF in my 02
    Caddy tho !....................................geo