1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

power dips while adjusting plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by m3klee, Dec 31, 2012.

1. m3klee

m3klee Member

I have a 8ft super duty plow on a 04 ram 2500 and every once in a while when operating the plow all my gauges will dip, the headlights, check gauges light comes on in the truck, I have checked all my connections for corrosion, all are clean, I replaced my alternator last year with the larger one they had for my hemi and also put in a larger battery. what is causing my power dips? as soon as i stop adjusting the plow all gauges come back up, etc.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Quit playing with it.I can tell your monkeying around with the controller. Just work the controllers when the rpm's are up
  3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Whats a plow draw when truck is idle? 200amps or something. Its normal.
  4. sgrenier24

sgrenier24 Junior Member

I had the same problem and switched to a Optima Yellow Top battery and it solved the problem.
  5. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Everything running (truck, plow, lights, heater, stereo, etc...) is about 179 amps, upgrade to a 200 amp large case alt with a big 3 wire install and it should help. Not eliminate the dimming completely but will decrease it significantly.
  6. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I have the same blade only it's on a 07 dodge ram 1500. I have the same things. I've done the better battery but haven't done the alternator yet. after reading your experience I'm bit sure I want to do the alternator.

personally I don't worry about it. it's never killed everything and for me it doesn't happen enough or really affect anything so I just roll with it.
  7. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

How old is the plow? The motor sounds like its drawing to many amps. I would get a voltmeter with a ring clamp and test it, (Make sure the voltmeter can read DC thru the clamp as most just read AC). Simply ring clamp the red wire to the motor, and have someone raise the plow. Take a reading during lifting. No more than 140 amps should be drawn from the motor. Then take a second reading when it is dead headed against the relief valve (all the way up). This should be no more than 240 amps. If it is any more than those amps, your motor is bad.
  8. m3klee

m3klee Member

I just ran with it during the storms cause we had 2 storms in 3 days. The plow was put on the truck in 05 according to the paperwork that I got with it. I'll have to try that with checking the volts, it doesn't do it all the time just every once in a while and only when i am angling to the right.
  9. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

I had a Ram 2500 that I was having similar problems with last year. I had that thing gone through every which way to sunday, new alternator, new battery all wires checked the whole nine yeards. Finally pulled the plow off the truck, traded it in and put the BOSS plow on a Ford :) no problems since. It was the only Dodge in the fleet, and probally won't add one back in after that. Not saying all of themm are bad, but not for this guy.
  10. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'm confused why you guys are so concerned with this issue.

in my experience it doesn't hurt anything and it doesn't slow you down in working. I've never had the truck die on me. everything thing electrical dims for a second or 2 and is back up after than. I never skip a beat and I never wait for things to go back up. I just keep on rocking.

it's more of a nuisance if you ask me.