1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power connection on pump broken

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by martyrant, Dec 5, 2012.

1. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Hello all,

I had posted a while back on help as to why the motor was running all the time and have since ordered the motor relay and installed it; the unit worked erratically after that (sometimes fine, sometimes not). At this point I decided to go ahead and take the pump off and drain the oil as suggested (the drain plug in mine is frozen/stripped).

I ended up just paper toweling out most of the oil.

In the picture of the pump, I circled the part in red that is broken; it's loose and just spins, there's a nut frozen on there and the other that held the connection in place sheared off. Is this something I can replace? I keep trying to unscrew it (since it's loose) but it seems like it does not want to come out...(I'm assuming it wasn't made to come out!). I do not see this part listed in the schematic I'm looking at here http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/21935_120098.pdf

and was wondering if someone knew what to do, or where to look for a schematic so I know how to take that pump apart and fix that issue? I think it was causing a short which was causing the pump to not work occasionally.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, that's the positive post on the motor. Western/Fisher don't sell it, but you should be able to take it to an auto electric place that rebuilds motors and they should be able to come up with it.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Put a new motor on it and be done with it. Probably cost you $130.

4. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

I do not know which pump it is (I didn't see any numbers on it while I had it off) and I have no idea which plow I have as there's no numbers/models on the plow or the sub frame. Do you know how I go about finding what pump I would need to replace it with?

Thanks

Briton

5. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

I found this (saw another for ~$130) http://www.discountstarterandaltern...?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPDln6bvg7QCFQU5nAodJz8AJg

but I don't see the post for the ground like mine has for the jumper wire. The one I found for $130ish had the ground post for the jumper wire, but I'm not sure if they just aren't showing the aftermarket piece from the right angle or not...

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

You can just wire the ground under one of the mounting bolts for the motor. Put some fluid film or dielectric grease on there to prevent corrosion when you install it, and make sure there isn't any paint, and it should be fine. You don't need the stud for the ground.

7. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Thank you for the advice! I'll get the cheapy then since I can get it off amazon easy enough.

8. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

That top stud has wire soldered to it inside. If you spun it enough, (which it sounds like you did) you will have broken the connection. Paying for another motor at $130 is ridiculous seeing as that entire assembly can be pulled apart and fixed and back together in a couple of hours. If you want a step by step how to do it, let me know here.

9. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

What you have there is simple to repair but you will have to take the motor apart, remove the two long bolts from the end cap and remove the end cap you will see the brushes inside there around the armature pay attention to how its put together as you slide the casing off, you may or may not have to remove the brush holder from the casing, the main thing is to remove the brken stud from the casing aqnd replace it with a similar size hex head bolt, look at the head of what's left of that stud and grind the head of the bolt down to a similar size, the do sell those stud bolts but it's just as easy to grind the bolt head to fit, now reverse your disassembly process, the tricky part to do yourself is getting the four brushes back in place, it's easier with two people but one can get it done. I've done a few of these, no sense in throwing out a $100 when it can be repaired for $1. In the future wrap the heck out of those connections with electrical tape, it keeps them clean and keeps the nuts workable.

10. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

What he said, plus I would advise taking out the magnet closest to the stud along with the top bracket containing the four spring loaded magnets. It makes accessing the stud much easier. You should also have a soldering iron because there is no room to use connectors to reattach the wire braid to the stud inside the can.

11. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I had that happen to oneof my motor as well.As stated above take the two bolts off the top of the motor.May attention to the brushes and armatures.You should be able to get a pair of vise grips on it and remove the stud.Put a new stud in and get an isolator for the outside.And tighten down and you should be good to go.At least thats what fixed mine.

12. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Its not a pump its a motor.

14. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the information everyone, was able to get it to work after doing the suggested.